Yeast Gone Off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGuzzle

Reaction score
hey, i have just put a batch on this morning and when i went to add the yeast the color of the yeast was different... some of it was a white color and some was a dark brown color, i was just wondering if there was something wrong with my yeast of its still ok?

Probably just a blend of a few strains. Is the sachet from a kit, and if so, which one?

Sometimes kit manufacturers add a lager and an ale strain, this is to accommodate the multitude conditions that the kit gets used in by brewers around the world.

Probably just a blend of a few strains. Is the sachet from a kit, and if so, which one?

it is a kit of coopers mexion, and the yeast come with the kit, it just seemed odd that half was one color the the other half was another color

Yep, according to this, it is a blend. So relax, top marks for keen- eyed observations though!

There was a list of them somewhere... ah, here's one from Coopers. Definitely a blend- confirmed.

No worries MrGuzzle, its all part of the service! :D

I've never brewed it myself, however I'd recommend a lower temperature fermentation with that Mex kit if I were you, get that lager yeast earning its keep, so 10- 15C if you can manage it. A fermentation fridge or just good temperature control will make a pretty amazing difference to the beer's quality.

Good luck with it, if there's any hassles, you know what to do! :beer:

cheers, yeh i still just brewing in the shed but im looking right into getting a fridge set up soon, will be good to get a fridge setup to taste the difference.

Back