Yeast failure?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnailAle

Reaction score
Gday all,

Think I had a failed yeast tonight? It's My first attempt at a beer/all grain. Not really sure what's gone wrong. I tried a drsmurtos golden ale for my first crack, everything seemed to be going well until I pitched the yeast. I pitched and checked maybe half an hour later and it looks as though it's fallen out of suspension.

It's with safale us-05.

Any ideas what's happened or what I can do from here? Can I just order more yeast and try re pitching? If so will it stay ok in the fermenter for a fee day?

S05 can take a while sometimes so give it a chance. Did you rehydrate the yeast?

S05 can take a while sometimes so give it a chance. Did you rehydrate the yeast?

Nah I didn't, I was going to but I read on the pack "sprinkle into wort" so just pitched it dry.

It will catch up then even if you do not rehydrate. Since moving back to dry yeast I have been experiencing better performance with hydration but I did experience reasonable performance from just sprinkling on top. Personally give it 12 hours and see if there is any change and then make a choice on pitching more and always remember relax don't worry have a home brew. Unless the beer smells like rotting meat. That is bad.

Ok thanks guys, I'll sit on it and check again in the morning.

Latest posts

Back