Yeast Country Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I wonder how many other do there starters on a wood oven? Not many of you city slickers I bet ;)

stove.jpg

In fact we had a slicker here this week doing some work on our kitchen reno's and he had never even seen a wood oven ( in real life ) as he put it. :lol: :lol:

Batz

I wonder how many other do there starters on a wood oven? Not many of you city slickers I bet ;)

View attachment 39406

In fact we had a slicker here this week doing some work on our kitchen reno's and he had never even seen a wood oven ( in real life ) as he put it. :lol: :lol:

Batz

Nice oven! I cooked on one when I lived in the Adelaide hills 20years ago, loved it and really would like to have one again one day.....

My sisters new house has no mains-electricity and she had me looking on ebay for wood-stoves, there is also some weird-ass ducted-though-the-house water-heater thing for when she gets one ... but no, she has gas hotplates and no oven yet.

She's also been staying with us for 2 weeks since her generator broke and she does not like the dark (well probably dislikes the cold showers more).

Love the smell of a wood stove Batz, haven't made a starter on one but the stove at the fishing shack gets a good workout.
How's the renos going by the way?

Andrew

Looks like one a them flash slow combustion stoves Batz! We only had an old Crown..........could blow the plates off the top by adding a little kero to smouldering chips :lol: Copped a floggin for that a few times :lol:

Screwy

Love the smell of a wood stove Batz, haven't made a starter on one but the stove at the fishing shack gets a good workout.
How's the renos going by the way?

Andrew

No room for the wood oven in the new kitchen Andrew, the photo shows it now in my bar room. The oven is now part of my domain !

Batz

Looks like one a them flash slow combustion stoves Batz! We only had an old Crown..........could blow the plates off the top by adding a little kero to smouldering chips :lol: Copped a floggin for that a few times :lol:

Screwy

Batz and fire have had several encounters Mike, mostly ending badly, there are some who disappear as soon as I pick up the matches.

Batz

View attachment 39406

Batz

I'm a city slicker (of a kind) and I've never made a starter on a stove of any kind.

I have chopped wood for, fired up and cooked on a woodfired stove/oven many times before though. If I ever own my own house I reckon I'd install one just cos they're great (and smell superb).

Seems there could be potential for a "Show us your wood stove thread". My Dad had an old Aga coal-fuelled stove, which worked pretty well when kept going constantly. Having said that, when you live close to Lithgow (western side of the Blue Mountains in NSW), it pays to keep the fire churning and the chills outside the front door... :D

View attachment 39406

Batz
gives me an idea for another use for the potbelly i have in my shed when brewing on those cold winters days......cheers....spog...

My old lady has a natural gas AGA. Dad built a 4 car shed for the same price...
It takes people a bit of time to wrap their head around the fact that theres no temperature control and that it stays on 24x7
I think their awesome - but bloody expencive! They also have hydronic floor heating so between the floor heating and the AGA the house is always pretty toasty - especially in the "great room" which is a large (6.5mtr x 14mtr) open plan kitchen, dinning, family room. They also have a rumford fireplace that I've only seen lit about 3 times a year (on cold snap days before the floor heating has been turned back on for the winter) it gets so fricken hot in that "great room" it becomes almost unbearable and it heats nearly their entire 50+sq home and burns bugger all wood. Way less than their old "canara" type wood heater which was only used as an auxillary heater in their old house.

We used to have a wood stove at the old holiday house and a coal burning HWS.

I think if done right, properly installed, used and maintained wood/coal/oil stoves and heating are very good options.

Slightly OT, but relevant to 'show us your woodfired oven'

Mines a malt dryer/roaster + starter hotplate....

Best part: Cost =$0 for material & energy. I BIAB on it & the potbelly all day & all it costs it wood which I collect free.

Pictured: First crack at home grown & malted barley. Half a day or so on the oven followd by a few days hanging in a pillowcase above it (or until use)

16062010.jpg

Nice oven! I cooked on one when I lived in the Adelaide hills 20years ago, loved it and really would like to have one again one day.....

Where did you live in the hills?

My house has a wood oven although i use it to store bags of flour and the cat food :lol:

It does work, we fired it up not long after moving but since we have a large gas/electric oven also we use that.

Where did you live in the hills?

My house has a wood oven although i use it to store bags of flour and the cat food :lol:

It does work, we fired it up not long after moving but since we have a large gas/electric oven also we use that.

Geez can't remember the name of the row of houses that had the audacity to claim a town name, but it was up old Norton Summit Rd about 6kms past the little shopping centre and down a side road. I can still drive the route in my sleep to this day! Found it (got to love Google Earth) it's down Crescent Rd past Old Norton Summit (Duh!)..... I could even give you the GPS co-ords of the house if you really wanted, but I have no idea who lives there now! :D

I do miss the winters and the green of the scrub in winter.....

Those wood ovens are every where across this state and a lot of them are still in use today......

Norton Summit

Now we are going back a few years !

That place has a very special hold on me, the town your talking about had a pub with a water wheel? Bridgewater perhaps? It's been 25 years since I lived in Adelaide.

Batz

Now we are going back a few years !

That place has a very special hold on me, the town your talking about had a pub with a water wheel? Bridgewater perhaps? It's been 25 years since I lived in Adelaide.

Batz

Something like that, I do recall a waterwheel....

Ovens like that were in every house in Ireland when I was a kid,they were used to heat the domestic hot water and the central heating.My brother is a plumber in Ireland and he still installs new ones occasionally,they last forever.

Back