Yeast choice and recipe for my hop hog clone help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswhi3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm going to embark on my second all grain clone, and hopefully this one will be perfect!
I'm shooting for a feral hop hog clone. It's about 50 IBUs and is really hoppy, which I believe it derives from late hopping.
From my research, the recipe will be as follows:
97.5% BB Galaxy Pale Malt
2.5% caramunich I

substitution of galaxy malt for JW Pilsner depending on galaxy availability, unless anyone else has a better opinion on the malts.

60mins hallerteu 18-20g
5mins centennial 35g
5mins citra 35g
5mins cascade 28g
5mins galaxy 28g
(Can't remember exact weights but this is about what I'm going to pitch)

Ferment for 5 days
Rack to secondary and dry hop for 5 days:
20g centennial
20g citra
17g cascade
17g galaxy

Obviously this is going to be really hoppy... I don't have a wort immersion cooler, so I'm going to be throwing the pot in an ice bath in my laundry sink.

Questions:
should I put the make the late hop additions as flame out given it might take a while for the wort to cool, meaning that it could steep the hops (ill remove the hop bags tho if I add at 5mins) making it more bitter than what I'm going for?

What's the go with steeping for 20mins? Opinions? Thoughts?

What yeast should I use to accentuate the hops? US 05 pitched at 20c and brought down to 19 for ferment? Or wyeast 1274?

Weights of the malt from percentages to achieve 5.8%?

NOTE: from my research, I've been led to believe that cascade and simcoe are substituted with galaxy and cascade depending on seasonal availability. Since this is gonna be my 2nd AG and my 6th brew overall, I've made a few brews with cascade and galaxy and like the flavours, so I'm gonna go these over the Amarillo and simcoe. Plus, since galaxy is Australian, I guess it would probably be more available for feral... I also chose hallerteu as the bittering hop bcos I know that feral generally use hallerteu to bitter most of their brews.

Cheers guys, happy good beer week,
Luke

Should have just kept this in the other thread... Makes for clearer searching down line for other folks... Anywhoo...

WY1217 or WLP001

Or WY1272... WY1056... WLP090... Etc, really becomes a choice thing about what characteristics you want it to display, a beer like that doesn't scream dry... Make an appropriate choice based on what you want in the beer.

Latest posts

Back