yeast cake fail?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scooby Tha Newbie said:
More experienced brewers please chime in if I'm talking thru my ass.

Cube said:
Not that long ago MHB would have had a slap and a private message and a warning for being an ass on these forums Now, AHB has done a 180, by a mod and a 'ha - you asked for it' mentality?

Why have the rules relaxed? For a retailer?

BTW: a retailer insulting a reader. Welcome to my list of retailers I will not buy from nor recommend.
Nothing to do with being a retailer cube, more to do with the fact that MHB is a highly regarded fountain of knowledge on AHB and I for one am pleased he is back posting. STN asked to be corrected if he was "talking out his ass". MHB done exactly that, was not a personal attack or abuse.

Cheers

more of a joke really - but one more reason to go back to not posting here - content to noise ratio on AHB is getting ridiculous.
cheers and see ya
Mark

MHB said:
more of a joke really - but one more reason to go back to not posting here - content to noise ratio on AHB is getting ridiculous.
cheers and see ya
Mark

Would be sad to see you go Mark. Plenty of people round these here parts that respect your opinions and knowledge. I personally have learnt a lot from your posts and hope you continue to contribute to the forums.

Only one way to alter the signal:noise ratio one way or the other. Silence is neutral.

All good Mark I took it in stride (although proly not your finest reply). I did look up the pitching on a used yeast cake. A found that.it can scrub hop aroma and open a Pandora's box of other problems. That was enough to make me stop doing it.

I was a trying to give a honest answer to the Op's question though.
My concern was with the op bottling his brew and making bombs.
That and I wanted to help him save the brew. Nothing worse than throwing out a brew imo.
I'm time poor so just the thought of throwing one out (I've done it once) hurts.
Anyway for me I wouldn't have stuck my head out if I wasn't willing to get a drubbing.
Jody.

MHB said:
your talking out ur ass!

Metallic flavour has thee common causes
Metal - as is in contamination with product of corrosion
Bacterial - as is in contaminated with bacteria
Very old kits/extract - see above for why.

None of this can be fixed, definitely not by a Diacetyl rest nor by cold crashing. in fact it as the beer matures it tends to stand out more.
If you feel compelled to post and you have no idea what your talking about take a couple of seconds to Google the question before you do, might help the person who asked the question, you might even learn something and there is a greatly reduced chance that you will get a reputation for talking out your ass
Mark
I've just experienced a very similar thing to the OP.

I just bottled a Coopers Cascarillo http://coopers.com.au/diy-beer/beer-recipes/ale/detail/cascarillo-amber-ale-recipe-pack/ and had a Cooper Australia Pale Ale kit sitting on the shelf. Threw that in and took it up to 16 litres (SG - 1.032). It got to 30c in the process :unsure:

Anyway, it started bubbling away a few minutes later (maybe a few more minutes).

So as per MHB's post I've ruled out the kit date. I did heat the water for the kit in a stainless steel pot but I think they are fine. So that leaves bacteria.

I sprayed the fermenter lid with no rinse and no rinsed my hose and spoon. I didn't want to start spraying sanitiser into the fermenter though so that might cause a problem.

When would I expect to start tasting this metallic taste if its going to happen?

Also, the OP mentioned over pitching but noone else has. I took about 600mls off into a PET which probably left about 1 to 1.5 litres of slurry. Mr Malty reckons about 128mls of slurry (thin slurry, high non-yeast %). But could overptiching also cause this problem?

BTW didn't mean to hijack, just that this was very similar to what I did this afternoon. Well except for the metallic taste, but time will tell...

Latest posts

Back