Yeast And Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
I have brewed a Pale Ale. I let it ferment out in a fermenter, then transfered into various plastic fermenters which fit in the fridge and have had them sittining there conditioning for another week. I put them in there in particular to try and get most of the yeast to fall out of solution so that when I bottle it I dont get a big yeast cake. I have two questions...

1. How long would a freshly fermented beer need to sit in the fridge before there is sufficicently little yeast left in solution that it would need to have some bottling yeast added before bottling?

2. What are peoples suggestions, in terms of processing, and types of yeast used, to reduce the size of the yeast cake left in the bottle? Or remove it all together. But still using bottle conditioning?

Thanks

Pip

I have brewed a Pale Ale. I let it ferment out in a fermenter, then transfered into various plastic fermenters which fit in the fridge and have had them sittining there conditioning for another week. I put them in there in particular to try and get most of the yeast to fall out of solution so that when I bottle it I dont get a big yeast cake. I have two questions...

1. How long would a freshly fermented beer need to sit in the fridge before there is sufficicently little yeast left in solution that it would need to have some bottling yeast added before bottling?

Never, Unless you actually filter if, even though it may look like its clear, there will still be some yeast in there. Might take a little bit longer, but your bottles will all carb up eventually.

2. What are peoples suggestions, in terms of processing, and types of yeast used, to reduce the size of the yeast cake left in the bottle? Or remove it all together. But still using bottle conditioning?

Thanks

Pip

Lager yeasts usually floc out pretty well in my experience. no point bothering trying though unless you filter your beer before hand.

if you want crystal clear beer in your bottles, with no yeast, you need to keg it first, then bottle it from your keg system with a counterflow bottler (there are a few products like this on the market)

Latest posts

Back