Yankee Brown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
Here's one I'm now drinking at almost 4 weeks in the bottle and it's turned out very impressive.

22 litres

3kg LDME

150g Carafa II
150g Caramunich II
200g Chocolate (1200)

11.5g US05 yeast dry pitched @ 23 degrees C and fermented @ 18 degrees C.

17g Simcoe @ 60mins
20g Willamette @ 20 mins
20g Willamette @ 10mins
15g Willamette @ flameout
20g Willamette dry hopped @ day 5

9 litre boil volume including 2 litre sparge

30min grain steep and used a hop sock for pellet additions @ 1.040 SG.

OG was around 1.055 and it finished up around 1.018 after two weeks in the primary.

Bulk primed with 126g dextrose.

The beer has turned out very well balanced and the Willamette would have to be a favourite with me after this one.

I hope someone else will enjoy it as much as I am.

Cheers.

Edit; yeast quantity

Sounds good Boagsy. Looks very chocolatey.

I bottled 2 fermenters of US Brown two days ago and I am stoked. Even with priming sugar I could have drank it all night once I got a taste in.

ED: 1.018 is pretty high terminal gravity for a 1.055 OG. I haven't used extract in a while, and I remember my extract beers always finishing a little chewey. Maybe this is it?

That's about the average attenuation I've been getting from my extracts. A little lower would have been nice but it's got a nice Chocolate undertone, not too dominant and is well balanced as far as malt sweetness and hop bitterness from the Simcoe is concerned. As I understand for this style there are a wide range of interpretations, some are drier and more in your face hoppy, others have a rich background malt flavour that balances the hops. This is the latter and very moreish.

A nice little sample saved of this is very delicious.
Bewdiful colour and head. Nice chocolate still but not overbearing.
Bottles 25 August 09 and still has plenty of hop goodness.
They don't come much better than this one for an extract brew.

Back