XXXX Summer (I know, I know)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
The wife's b'day is coming up, and we're having a bit of a shindig. She has asked if I can brew something that would taste like XXXX Summer. My first thoughts were firstly, not sure if I can, secondly, definitely sure I don't want to. However, as a chance to test my brewing skills, I've excepted the challenge to brew something completely devoid of flavour and colour. As an extract brewer, I've come up with the following recipe:

2.0kg Light DME
150 grams white sugar
15g Cluster @ 60 min

20L batch with a 10L boil

Ferment for 3-4 weeks @ 12c with S23

According to the almighty spreadsheet, this will give me an IBU of around 12 and an EBC of around 7. I read in a review of Summer, that the IBU is under 10, which seems low, even for something as flavourless as Summer.

Also, given I shan't be drinking this brew if I can help it, and that I ferment two brews simultaneously in my brew fridge, I need to brew another lager-type beer for myself and anyone else that actually likes taste in their beer. I'm thinking maybe a Mac's Hop Rocker type thing. After a bit of a look around, I've come up with this:

2.5 kg Light DME
200 grams CaraPils
15g Nelson Sauvin@ 60
15g Nelson Sauvin@ 10
15g NZ Cascade @ 10 (if I can get it)
20g Nelson Sauvin@ 5
20g NZ Cascade @ 5
Dry hop with 20g Nelson Sauvin

Not sure about yeast, maybe Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils, or even Wyeast 2565 Kolsch, fermented at it's lower end, around 13c

As above, 20L batch with a 10L boil

Any suggestions on either recipe much appreciated.

From a colour perspective, you could try Briess' CBW Pilsen Light DME, it's the lightest they make, and I think the lightest DME available. It would get your EBC down towards 4 instead of 7.

There's a thread in the AG forum on making a XXXX Summer clone: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/54341-xxxx-summer-clone/. It's short but talks about some specifics, including the none-too-shabby idea of just blending a Coopers Mexican Cerveza can with 1kg of dextrose, and fermenting with a lager yeast.

I certainly hope that no one can brew anything that tastes like xxxx summer blight

What about swapping in a corona clone?, there are a few decent recipes on here.

I read this and was going to refer you to Carniebrew but it would appear I don't need to..........

Ya I agree with QldKev why not just do a Corona clone they're pretty much the same beer?

Canuckdownunder said:
Ya I agree with QldKev why not just do a Corona clone they're pretty much the same beer?
corona versus xxxx summer, the same? eerrr, no sir, I don't like it. (the comparison)

dougsbrew said:
corona versus xxxx summer, the same? eerrr, no sir, I don't like it. (the comparison)
Oh nononononono before I get torn apart let me clarify my point. For the sort of people that Mosto is making this beer for I reckon they'd be just as happy with a decent Corona clone or something mindlessly easy like the Aztec Gold recipe. I didn't mean to put xxxx summer in the same category taste wise, I meant to put them in the same category consumer wise. Hope that clears my name a bit *scurries away*

Hmnnnnn. Perfect to build up a yeast cake for something else later :)

Bloody Corona. If you need to stick fruit into the beer to be able to keep it down, then it's not beer.

Latest posts

Back