Wyeast's Best Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favourite ale yeast from Wyeast?

• 1007 German Ale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1028 London Ale

• 1056 American Ale

• 1084 Irish Ale

• 1214 Belgian Ale

• 1275 Thames Valley Ale

• 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

• 1728 Scottish Ale

• 1968 London ESB Ale

• Other

• Total voters
If you can contain the mountainous kraeusen of this yeast then you too will fall for 1007 German Ale. I've used it in bitters, Alt and Imperial stout and have always had tasty results.

It has excellent attenuation and very smooth malt flavours, it is the most balanced of all the ale yeasts in that it doesn't hide maltiness or bitterness.

It also suits my brewing style in that I prefer the yeast to provide good attenuation and good (but subtle) maltiness, the grist and mashing programme will be formulated to do the rest.

tdh

If you can contain the mountainous kraeusen of this yeast then you too will fall for 1007 German Ale. I've used it in bitters, Alt and Imperial stout and have always had tasty results.

It has excellent attenuation and very smooth malt flavours, it is the most balanced of all the ale yeasts in that it doesn't hide maltiness or bitterness.

It also suits my brewing style in that I prefer the yeast to provide good attenuation and good (but subtle) maltiness, the grist and mashing programme will be formulated to do the rest.

tdh

After that review I reckon I will be trying 1007 next :) current fav is 1968 however. If you like malt flavour then this one is a winner. Great in a ESB.

I voted 1968 but I haven't used many. Methinks the thames valley might top it-

I voted 1968, it seems to be a bit more versatile for me and the styles I brew.
1275 would be a second place, did a good dry stout with this last year

Just bought a 1028 - from what I read it's a pretty popular yeast for just about anything and is listed as Wyeasts first choice for a lot of ale styles.

First batch of ordinary bitter with 1028 instead of 1275 is a bit ho-hum.
I repitched my amber ale onto the cake from that and it's is looking & tasting great tho

Latest posts

Back