Wyeast San Fran 2112

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Currently trying to brew a california common. brewed Sunday and pitched Sunday night. It is now Tuesday avro and only a few bubbles through the air lock. Temp is at 17 in the fridge. Has anyone used this yeast?? I know it is a lager yeast but will it eventually take off like an ale yeast??

Cheers, JJ

JJ

I've used it several times. Generally ferment at about 15 and it chugs along nicely. Should have a good krausen and ferment your average Steam Beer in about 7-10 days. :beerbang:

Warren -

jimmyjack said:
Currently trying to brew a california common. brewed Sunday and pitched Sunday night. It is now Tuesday avro and only a few bubbles through the air lock. Temp is at 17 in the fridge. Has anyone used this yeast?? I know it is a lager yeast but will it eventually take off like an ale yeast??

Cheers, JJ
[post="115569"][/post]​

Hi JJ,
I have been using this yeast and found it a bit slow at 16 - 17 degc.
I spoke to Brad from Grumpies / Gulf Brewery and he said a similar thing.
I brewed a california common last week and it slowed down and stopped at 1018, I rased the temp to 19 and away it went again and finished off nicely.
I brewed an ale with it at 18 deg and it turned out a real beauty.
I think it is just a touchy one with temps.
Cheers

Back