Wyeast London ale starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lethaldog

Reaction score
Just wondering what your experience is with this yeast and how long it takes to kick off in a starter, I have just got back into brewing and made a 2 liter starter after smacking and waiting 4 hours to puff up but the starter doesn't seem to be doing much after 27 hours, there is activity but not a lot , am I being over paranoid or have I somehow messed it up, used 150gms of ldme in a 2 liter starter!

Cheers
Leigh

What was your estimated viability of the yeast pack you pitched? May have been low, hence a slow take off on the starter. Personally though, I wouldnt be too worried if there is activity, even though you say not much.

Date on the pack was 12 May 16 so I'm tipping it should have been pretty good maybe 85 billion at a guess

Lethaldog said:
Date on the pack was 12 May 16 so I'm tipping it should have been pretty good maybe 85 billion at a guess
Yeah you are right. That's pretty fresh. Maybe it's just a slow yeast.

How's it going now?

I'd expect a full pack in 150g dme to be done and dusted. Gravity test but you probably just mised the excitement because it happened so quickly.
Add some more dme/wort, get it active again and pitch.

Haha thnx mate before I read this this morning I did exactly that and it's now bubbling away nicely, must have done its job Friday night while I was sleeping so all good!
Cheers
Leigh

Back