Wyeast - First Time - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benno-5

Reaction score
I am going to use Wyeast 1056 for my first ag this weekend (because they gave me this in my order rather than safale us56, I guess it could be worse, they could have got something wrong, i guess its a bonus).

What do I need to do with a liquid yeast? Do I need to seperate it into cultures so I get a few uses out of it? Do I need to activate it before adding to the fermenter or do I just pour it in??

thanks guys.

I am going to use Wyeast 1056 for my first ag this weekend (because they gave me this in my order rather than safale us56, I guess it could be worse, they could have got something wrong, i guess its a bonus).

What do I need to do with a liquid yeast? Do I need to seperate it into cultures so I get a few uses out of it? Do I need to activate it before adding to the fermenter or do I just pour it in??

thanks guys.

Before we can answer, I think there are 2 questions to be asked:

- What size is the pack ?

- Have you read the instructions on the pack ?

Dave

it is a 125ml pack of wyeast. I dont have it as it is with the person whop picked up my order for me so I havent read the instrustions as yet.

aparrently packet says to break open inner nutrient and leave for three hours untill packet swells or pitch directly into wort. Can I seperate this into say 4 cultures or does the yeast change its profile if it is cultured before fermentation?

If i make cultures with this packet how much dme and water ineach culture and how many cultures from the packet?

aparrently packet says to break open inner nutrient and leave for three hours untill packet swells or pitch directly into wort. Can I seperate this into say 4 cultures or does the yeast change its profile if it is cultured before fermentation?

If i make cultures with this packet how much dme and water ineach culture and how many cultures from the packet?

There is some info at the Craftbrewer site.

Benno, have a read of Batz's excellent how to guide, it's airlocked at the top of the Common Ground forum, or click here.

Benno, have a read of Batz's excellent how to guide, it's airlocked at the top of the Common Ground forum, or click here.

This is a pretty good guide for using a 50ml Propagator pack.

You have the XL size pack which does not need a starter if it is fresh and active.

David

think i might create a starter anyway and seperate into several bottles as described in the BATZ article. Thanks good article!!

think i might create a starter anyway and seperate into several bottles as described in the BATZ article. Thanks good article!!

Make sure the pack is swollen - of you smack and there is no swelling there is no activity. Should be 2.5cm thick at least before you open.

No starter required, the pack is the starter!

Scotty

Also be aware that it might take some time for the pack to swell, depending on its age. If it is fresh, it might take less than a day. Usually I smack a fresh one and its ready the next morning. But if it is a few months old, it might take a couple of days to get going. I have had the odd occasion where it has taken nearly a week to swell. That was for a pack over 6 months old though.

Berp.

No starter required, the pack is the starter!

Scotty

Since Benno-5 has stated he wishes to split it into several bottles, a starter is definately needed...

cheers Ross

Back