Wyeast 3787 (trappist High Gravity) In A Low Grav Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I've been using the 3787 in. Pretty happy with it.

23L
Pilsner 61.4%
JW Ale 35.1%
Caramunich 3.5%
38g EKG 60min (20IBU)
15g Styrian Goldings 10min (2.6IBU)
26g Stryian Goldings 0min

Been following this thread as i like 3787, recipe looks good, whats your OG?

I didn't want to comment without trying it - but I've just cracked a stubby of my 2 week old low gravity 3787 starter and I'm very happy.

I had OG 1.052 (aimed for 1.048 but this was also my first time doing a slightly more complex step mashing regime and also had my mash/water additions sorted so perhaps that can account for the extra few points? Oh, and also I did the recipe at %67 brewhouse efficiency but now do recipes at %68)...anyway, FG 1.009.

4kgs simps Golden Promise (because I had some, that's why)
150gms light brown sugar (because I'd just finished reading Randy Mosher, that's why)

Northdown at 60 mins to 20 IBU. Fermented at 22c. While the end result is only 2 weeks old (and unlikely to set the world on fire), I am really happy with it. I often do smaller starters to reuse this yeast, and this is one of the best of them so far. I was also impressed with the FG and the mouthfeel and put that down to the two main sacch rests of 62c for 20 mins and then 69c for 40 mins (with 55 for 5 and 72 for 15 at the end).

Anyway, just thought I'd contribute...I hope the dubbel that came after this is as good or better!!! :icon_cheers:

Back