Wyeast 1968 London Esb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet Bribie, it's on it's way though, I ordered it last week. I like what you're suggesting though, it's on the cards now, but I'll have to wait till' my next order from wherever cause I gots no nott

The 1968 is notorious for packing up its bat and ball and heading for the bottom at just about 1.020. Especially if you dare to let the temperature drop.

You have done what it is that most people will recommend, warm up the fermentor and give it a swirl. You will need to keep it at 21-22 and probably have to swirl it a couple of times a day, but those few point will most likely drop off.

I treat it the same way I used to treat safale S04 which behaved in the same way - I watch the fermentation, and as soon as the Krausen starts to back off (maybe day three?)I start to give the fermentor a swirl every day and put up the temperature by a degree each day till I get to 22. Where I keep it, swirling 1 or two times a day, till its done.

Nice yeast, but a little fussy.

Sorry for dredging up an old thread.

I used this yeast for the first time just over a week ago in an English Bitter. Just checked a hydro sample to see if she's done and it's at 1.020. This was half expected as the temps have been only getting to 17-18, at most, lately. The temp controller has hardly been kicking in. I am putting a light bulb in for a few hours and it should bring the temps up around 20-21ish from experience. For a contrast, my bits n pieces IPA with US-05 that was pitched at the same time is down to the expected FG.

Should I still give it a swirl or 2? I tasted the sample and tasted pretty nice. A touch sweet as you would expect but still very good IMO and I am thinking about just chilling and polyclar'ing it going from there. Or would that be poor form for the style?

Cheers!

Sorry for dredging up an old thread.

I used this yeast for the first time just over a week ago in an English Bitter. Just checked a hydro sample to see if she's done and it's at 1.020. This was half expected as the temps have been only getting to 17-18, at most, lately. The temp controller has hardly been kicking in. I am putting a light bulb in for a few hours and it should bring the temps up around 20-21ish from experience. For a contrast, my bits n pieces IPA with US-05 that was pitched at the same time is down to the expected FG.

Should I still give it a swirl or 2? I tasted the sample and tasted pretty nice. A touch sweet as you would expect but still very good IMO and I am thinking about just chilling and polyclar'ing it going from there. Or would that be poor form for the style?

Cheers!
You will need to take consecutive hydro readings to determine if it has stalled, if it has then give it a gentle swirl. The other things your doing still stand. You didn't mention the starting gravity?

You will need to take consecutive hydro readings to determine if it has stalled, if it has then give it a gentle swirl. The other things your doing still stand. You didn't mention the starting gravity?

OG was 1.051. I do remember reading that this is a low attenuating yeast as well. I will give another hydro tomorrow after the increase in temp. If no change then I am leaning towards chilling and then onto the keg. :)

This yeast loves to drop out and sit on the bottom, so give it a swirl. I haven't done a bitter in some time but when I was using this yeast it was a daily ritual to go out to the fermenter fridge and give the fermenter a swirl until it stopped dropping in gravity points.

BTW it's dropping out makes it a very easy yeast to harvest.

Cheers
Gavo

You can get pretty high attenuation out of this yeast, I've got ~80% when I've used it, keep swirling it up once or twice a day as said above. I'd suggest taking a fast ferment sample as well to give you a decent idea of the FG.

I use lots ok UK yeasties, and i swirl them all. Just a habit, especially in cool weather. Rarely finish above 1.010. I just bottled a 1.078 Baltic porter at 1.016 with 1318 london ale 3. Bringing it up to temp is a great idea, it should finish off for you.

PW, have you had a look at the new Jamil / White yeast book yet? They mention using two yeasts - the first yeast gives the flavour characteristics then adding a second, more attenuating yeast can give you a drier beer to boot. I'd look at a 1968 / Nottingham partnership where you wouldn't (theoretically) get the flavour stripping or 'dustiness' of the Nottingham.

Fox brewery in Norfolk UK does this using a mix of SO4 & Nottingham

I've just checked my 1968 starter which has been going for 24hrs. It's my first use of a liquid yeast so I need some reassurance please !

I know this is a very flocculent strain, but on turning the stir plate off, the yeast dropped instantly!

It had formed krausen yesterday, very soon after pitching, so it was busy. It dropped in a slightly granular layer, now settled in the fine, milky sludge I'm used to seeing.

I'm sure it's fine...just a few replies of (hopefully) 'fine' will do, thanks gents.

Dan

Danwood said:
I've just checked my 1968 starter which has been going for 24hrs. It's my first use of a liquid yeast so I need some reassurance please !

I know this is a very flocculent strain, but on turning the stir plate off, the yeast dropped instantly!

It had formed krausen yesterday, very soon after pitching, so it was busy. It dropped in a slightly granular layer, now settled in the fine, milky sludge I'm used to seeing.

I'm sure it's fine...just a few replies of (hopefully) 'fine' will do, thanks gents.

Dan
It will be fine.

It will go to work on your wort nice and quickly when you pitch it.

I've never had any problems with this strain. Got another ESB going now on a yeast cake of this stuff.

Thirsty Boy said:
I bet people have made beers by dumping onto a whole cake of this ... but I'd be prepared for a bit of a yeast explosion. This stuff ferments hard and fast (well until it drops off at around 1.020 anyway...) and using a whole cake as the starter is going to make for one hell of a running start for your batch.

My guess is yeast on the floor and terminal gravity in about 3 days flat unless you take precautions.
I pitched a small (1.3L as per MrMalty) starter of 1968 on Sunday into 23L of 1.046 and hit FG in ~56 hours. Aside from the fact that over pitching (using a whole yeast cake is way over pitching) isn't very good for the beer, I'm with Thirsty Boy on this one - yeast everywhere or at least a sub-optimum beer.

Cheers, Bats.

She's away now, swimming through 28L Oatmeal Stout wort....in a 30L fermenter ! Only 3-4L wiggle room :unsure:

I'm regretting being greedy with the larger volume of this batch....is 1968 particularly krausen-y ?

It smelled beautifully coffee-ish / treacly on the way in....that malt flavour should carry through nicely, from what I've read about this yeast.

Danwood said:
is 1968 particularly krausen-y ?
In my experience it's not as flat as, say, 1056. But it's definitely not as "krausen-y" as a weizen yeast. Others may agree or disagree but that's what I've found.

In the end, you're probably fine with 3-4L headspace in a 30L fermentor.

EDIT: typos

Nope, not as bad as a Weizen yeast, I agree, but it still managed to bust out the glad wrap and colonise the bottom of the ferm. fridge!!

Smells great though, so all is forgiven 1968.

I was very worried yesterday after pitching this into a heavy ESB without a starter. Came back after about 12 hours and no action, gave it a stir at 15 hours, bumped up to 19C, and yes, finally showing signs of life. I can see this baby will need some extra attention to get it across the line.
Starters will be standard for me from now on.

Latest posts

Back