Wyeast 1214 Vs Recultured Chimay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi,
I've recently had an issue with a stuck fermentation while using the wyeast 1214 in a strong belgian ale. Stayed at 1040 for about a week even though temps remained at 20 degress +/-1. After swirling (trying to reactivate) for this time i decided to repitch another 2 litre starter of the 1214. It looked like it was going to work then just died. Figured it was just eating up the remaining sugars from the starter. Anyway another week passed and i decided to repitch with a recultured chimay slant i had. Don't really like doing this, but figured it's repitch yeast or pitch the batch. If it worked it should'nt change the profile to much. Hey, they're from the same strain after all.
Now it's fermenting away quite happily again. No huge krausen, but did'nt expect it as i figured the 1214 ate up the less complex sugars. I would have thought that it would be the other way around as the wyeast would be more healthy / pure.
So if the 1214 is from the same strain why would the chimay work?
Any ideas?

Where was you 1214 from? Could just be that the recultured chimay was fresher and/or healthier.

2 separate smack packs or slants from the same time or.....................??

Sorry first 1214 from a fresh smack pack, started well. Second from the vial i saved from same pack to make a cople of slants. Chimay from slant, only a month old. (Slant that is not bottle)
Don't have the pack nor stubbie to check the exact dates.

I just pitched this yeast for the first time today. I have put it in a 1.070 Dubbel and will be feeding it with D2 candy syrip at day 3 and day 6.

I did notice it was very slow in the starter. It seemed to take a while to start then went well for a few days, then slowed right down and putted away slowly on the last of the starter. Smack pack was march 2010 so it was fresh.

I wont be suprised if if goes hard then slows right down, expecially after using the Belgian Saison strain that does just this. THese Belgian yeasts are a law unto themselves.

God the starter tasted devine though!

Interesting. I have a 1214 starter sitting in my kitchen. Smacked the pack a few days ago but got very little swelling. Thought I got a hint of krausen in the starter but it disappeared to nothing. The pack has been in my fridge for a few months and was dated Nov 2009.

Hope it gets going soon but thank the beer gods for no-chill.

@Dan - the fact that the first two were from the same origin suggests something about that origin. I have used this yeast before with no start-up or mid ferment problems so I don't think it's an issue with the strain. Beyond being told that it is tha Chimay strain though I have no idea if it actually is and how current that information is.

I wont be suprised if if goes hard then slows right down, expecially after using the Belgian Saison strain that does just this. THese Belgian yeasts are a law unto themselves.
Have read that it's known to have quite a slow fermentation after the initial kick.

Interesting. I have a 1214 starter sitting in my kitchen. Smacked the pack a few days ago but got very little swelling. Thought I got a hint of krausen in the starter but it disappeared to nothing. The pack has been in my fridge for a few months and was dated Nov 2009.
Manticle,
If you get stuck and want some Chimay i could probaly drop off a slant or starter if you don't have a stir plate. (Not too far) Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Cheers mate. Appreciated. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days and let you know if no joy.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on these matter but afaik what happens is that the yeast lose the ability to metabolise/ferment the more complex sugars after they have eaten simple sugars. My guess is your grain bill had some sugar added, the strain went like the clappers eating the simple monosaccharides/disaccharides then slowed right down when they hit with the more complex malt derived sugars. It happens a lot with some of the famous belgian strains. The best option is pitching fresh yeast. Of

Ahhh and this is the basis theory behind the gradual feeding of belgian beers.

Give them the mash to eat for a few days than add in some simple sugars....... let them finnish these off then add some more etc etc.

This will ensure the yeast doesnt go too nuts at first. producing lots of hot alcahol nasties that make the beer harsh and give you a headache.

Mine is going along nicely in the garage at about 19 to 20 deg..... slow to steady bubbling. I will feed it with some D2 candy sugar on tuesday, and again on friday. This should keep the yeast active as it will continue to consume toe complex sugars from the mash as well as the simple sugars from the candi syrip. Plan is to have it ferment out nice and dry with a nice smooth character and no hot alcahol.

I have used this method before with a trippel and its a winner!

cheers

Last dubbel I did followed the same method thanks to advice from Screwy. Definitely avoided the hot alc I've had from a couple of other Belgian attempts. Now I just need a 30 L demijohn or two so I can age this kind of brew before bottling rather than drinking it young thinking 'mmm this will be superb in a couple of months'.

My 1214 starter fired up today Dans6401 so cheers very much for the offer. Pitched this afternoon.

Back