Wychwood Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you find a recipe you think is close then BeerSmith can adjust the gravity for you. Easy-peasy!
You have got BeerSmith haven't you hazard?

TP

My error hazard but a little stir hurts nobody? :ph34r: :lol:
Have just emailed Wychwood Brewery about this so let's hope they respond.
Still fine-tuning my latest effort which includes most of Orfie's grain bill but in different proportions & using a different yeast. Would rather wait untill I'm happy with it.

TP
I've recently used the Orfy recipe as a base but pumped up the base grain and added additional hops to tale it up to SG 1060 IBU 30 to bring it up to more of a Stronger style and WY1275. Took a fermenter sample this morning at 1.020 eyes were rolling in my head, malty little bugger with still a while to go still as a mountain of krausen on it.

If you find a recipe you think is close then BeerSmith can adjust the gravity for you. Easy-peasy!
You have got BeerSmith haven't you hazard?

TP
Yep got beer smith. Here's a recipe from somewhere off the net:

3000g MO Pale Malt
400g Wheat Malt
200g Crystal Malt
200g Cane Suger (Straight into the Boiler)
30g Styrian Goldings 60mins AA4.5%
20g " " 20mins
10g " " 10mins
10g " " 0mins
1 Protafloc Tablet @ 20mins
11g Safale S04 Yeast

IBU`s 20.29
OG1039 @ 75% Effeciency giving 4%ABV

So this is easy enough to scale up to 5.2% ABV with or without Beersmith, but only assuming that percentages of each ingredient remain the same. The question is - if this is the cask recipe, but the bottle is brewed to OG1052 (or thereabouts) do i just scale up all ingredients, or scale up the base malt only, or a really cheap and nasty way - just add more sugar (which theoretically adds more alcohol without adding additional body). I would expect different results for each option, and would prefer to get it right first time than brew 3 lots to figure it out!

If you scale up - does that match the Orfy recipe which has an OG of 1.052? See post 20 in his thread.

Hazard,

i am confused.

is the recipe you posted for Fidlers Elbow or Hobgoblin??

If Hobgoblin , where are you going to get the correct colour from?

Regards

Graeme

Hazard,

i am confused.

is the recipe you posted for Fidlers Elbow or Hobgoblin??

If Hobgoblin , where are you going to get the correct colour from?

Regards

Graeme
I'm actually talking about Fiddler's Elbow - Refer Post #40. Seems I have caused a bit of confusion, sorry about that. Unfortunately the Wychwood website doesn't list this beer.

Really? Hobgoblin is 5.2% in the bottle, way to strong for a southern english brown - the most famous example of a southerner is of course Mann's Brown Ale which weighs in at a measly 2.8%. Can't they hold their drink in the south?

And, AABC style guidelines lists Hobgoblin as an example of Northern brown ale (along with newkie and Samuel Smith's brown).

So - I still prefer hobgoblin! I've tried Samuel Smith's brown, I love many of their beers (their oatmeal stout is one of my all time faves) but the brown ale contains roast barley which I find a bit dry in a brown ale(bur perfect for an Irish stout).

Hazard you may be right ,I had not noticed that, however the Cask ale version is 4.5% just a bit over the style Guidelines , I suppose you can still make a Northern English Brown with your Brewery situated in the Cotswoulds .

Pumpy :)

Latest posts

Back