Wy3724 - Belgian Siason How Hot Is Too Hot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Got about 22 litres of a saison brewing ATM. has been sitting around the 26-28Deg C mark for 2 weeks. Stuck her is the shed today and just checked on her she is sitting at 34! Probably gonna get some mixed opinions here, but should i start to get worried about it? from what i have read, it should (err, can) be kept hottish to finish it off.

Most fermentation is done but I would still not let sit at 34oC. Cool it if you can. happy New Year.

Got about 22 litres of a saison brewing ATM. has been sitting around the 26-28Deg C mark for 2 weeks. Stuck her is the shed today and just checked on her she is sitting at 34! Probably gonna get some mixed opinions here, but should i start to get worried about it? from what i have read, it should (err, can) be kept hottish to finish it off.

Tony often speaks about running this yeast in his 30+ degree garage. Might be worth a PM if he doesn't see this thread.

I have brewed with this yeast and wasnt happy with the phenols coming thru after a hot ferment 27>30. Sure some good brewers can do successfully, I couldnt and gave up brewing at those high temps.

i have used this yeast a few times and found that up to thirty its happy but over thirty it actually seems to slow down or stop on me. i wouldnt stress it getting up there for a short time but personaly do find it happiest just on or slightly lower than 30. i do let it start at around 18- 20 for the first 48 houirs or so though before letting it free rise.

if he doesn't see this thread.

:rolleyes:

id get it sitting at about the 30 mark. I have run it up higher for short periods but at 28 to 30 deg its supurb!

It can be a dificult yeast so be patient. My last one went to 1.002 in 2 weeks and the one in now is stuck dead at 1.026 and wont move.

i will let it sit for a few weeks and see what it does........if no go it will get tipped but hey..... live nad learn

cheers

yea not the best but I had a belgian golden strong with BGStong yeast/Saison blend and took it up to those temps with a couple sugar additions during ferm. and it was super HOT alcoholie in the beginning but after a bit of age it won some nice awards. its amazing what temps those belgian strains can go up to. you might end up with a fruttie bomb though.

I have run this yeast at 36.

Some phenols but no hot alcohol. The phenols faded over time.

I would not run it that high, but the whole reason I started using it was to free up my fridge in summer.

Back