Wy2247 European Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJO

Reaction score
G'day AHB members,

this is my first post, been lurking for a while but got something to ask now.

I slowly been working my way through Wyeasts repetoir of lager yeast and I want to know if anyone has tried using 2247 European Lager.

I'm looking to make some nice clean Pilsners :chug: maybe even a CAP with this yeast, what have you guys brewed and how did it turn out?

I'm a bit of hophead so hoping this yeast will bring the hops out, got some nice Saaz and Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (US grown).

Thanks
PJO

PJO.

I've used it once. Made a nice pils. However my pils had a tainted flavour which I put down to finishing hops Tettnang (grassy/vegetal). Don't let it stop you using this yeast because it's quite good. :beerbang:

Really showcases hop flavour/aroma as opposed to malt.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
PJO.

I've used it once. Made a nice pils. However my pils had a tainted flavour which I put down to finishing hops Tettnang (grassy/vegetal). Don't let it stop you using this yeast because it's quite good. :beerbang:

Really showcases hop flavour/aroma as opposed to malt.

Warren -
[post="91635"][/post]​

Thanks Warren,

is it much different to the Danish lager 2042??

I have a pils made with 2042 which is currently in secondary but this yeast still brings out the malt quite well (grist was 50% JW Pils, 50% Weyermann Pils), I'm looking for something cleaner with less malt. By the sounds of it 2247 should be on the money :) .

Cheers
PJO

PJO

Haven't used the 2042 but yes, 2247 will give an extremely clean flavour. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. :beerbang:

Warren -

PJO, while I have only tried a couple of lager yeasts I am currently using 2247 and it is my favourinte by far. Made a nice pils with 100% pils malt and some Saaz B, very nice. Have also made a helles type with no late hops and that was good also.

Can't see me moving onto another lager yeast for a while, well worth a try.

I'm far from being an expert on lagers but I have used this yeast. The beer I made with it came out very well and I was very happy with it. It does give a nice clean taste and really does promote the hop flavours.

I did ferment within the reccomended ranges and lagered for four weeks so I'm sure that helped.

Thanks fellas,

sounds like its the yeast I'm after, will brew a pils with it next weekend and report back

Cheers,
PJO

Just giving this thread a bump to see if there are any new opinions to this yeast.

Thinking of giving it a go

Rook

Just got a pack of this last week - keen to give it a go in a pils or a CAP. Will report back once I have time to brew something (moving house, and then Xmas Swap!)

Cheers

Just got a pack of this last week - keen to give it a go in a pils or a CAP. Will report back once I have time to brew something (moving house, and then Xmas Swap!)

Cheers

Thanks Nick, i'd be very interested to see what you think as it looks like an all round lager/Pilsner yeast

Rook

Just got some of this myself, it was the first liquid yeast I ever used nearly 5 years ago now and there was no turning back after that. I wasn't doing AG at that stage but I do remember how crisp and clean it was.

Got a Dortmunder Export in mind,

Cheers,
BB

Was looking for a similar end result to S-189 as this has been the lager yeast used in most of my lagers. Have Wy2001 in the fridge to have a go with as well. Just need to split the pack (I just split into 10 test tubes), then culture up a starter.

Cheers

Was looking for a similar end result to S-189 as this has been the lager yeast used in most of my lagers. Have Wy2001 in the fridge to have a go with as well. Just need to split the pack (I just split into 10 test tubes), then culture up a starter.

Cheers

Giving this thread a bump to see if there are any more reports on this yeast.

Nick???

Rook

Nope, smack pack still in the fridge. Have been working through my remaining dry yeast packs. This one is definitely on the cards though. Will be doing my Pils again soon, a double batch, and trying this and WY2001 to see if there's any difference....

Cheers

I used it a few months back rook. I mad a CAP with it and got 74%attenuation. As some have said nice clean flavour that showed the 25% flaked maize early after kegging and then the flavour smoothed out over 4-8 weeks.

I look forward to your outcome Nick, keep me posted.

Razz, thats sounds like you go great results with this yeast.

Rook

Back