• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wtb Round Esky For Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman

Reaction score
as the topic name suggests im lookin for a round gatorade style esky for use as a mash tun
they appear harder to find than rocking horse poo :p
if anyone knows of one sitting in a shed unused please pm me

cheers,dan

most of the camping stores sell them, brand named keep cold. 36 litre i saw the other day for $70.

I've got one sitting here that a mate loaned me when he upgraded. I never used it. It's got a plastic round dome false bottom and some type of tap. Just needs a hose and elbow to connect them. I'll ask my mate if he wants to sell it if you're interested? It's a Rubbermaid about 30 litres (estimate).

danman,

you should really take a look at the square 5 gallon Coleman. I have found that with the lid filled with Selley's Gap Filler, I only loose 0.5 deg c per hour. it is also an ideal shape for the square manifold that is shown in "How to Brew" by John Palmer. With both the cooler & the manifold + my brewing practises I am averaging around 85% efficiency.
Each to his own though I guess?

Cheers,
TP :beer:

danman,

you should really take a look at the square 5 gallon Coleman. I have found that with the lid filled with Selley's Gap Filler, I only loose 0.5 deg c per hour. it is also an ideal size for the square manifold that is shown in "How to Brew" by John Palmer. With both the cooler & the manifold + my brewing practises I am averaging around 85% efficiency.
Each to his own though I guess?

Cheers,

Pete Pete Pete

worldisround_green.jpg

Come on old mate move with the times :lol:

Round or square Dan both are good,grab what ever you can get at a fair price.

Batz

Batz,

I probably will move on one day when I need a new mash tun & chances are that I will select a (shudder) round one which will not let me fit my faithful square manifold into it's rotund guts.
sad-smiley-019.gif

All things considered though, I reckon that I will always prefer a cooler over a keg as a mash tun for it's capability to keep the temps better even if it has to be replaced every ???? years.

Nice find that but $100? I bought my 55L rectangular esky for $70 odd and got a 6 pack esky and a drink cooler in the bargain.

Altho it would be much easier to stir that.......

I've got the 57L version of it, find it holds temp very well. Only annoying part is you have to offset the false bottom due to the design of the cooler. If you're batch sparging this isn't an issue though. I paid $170 IIRC.

You can see what I mean about the offset in this thread:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=8255

Found this at a camping joint to you think i would be ok??
I use the very same esky Timmsy,
It can fit about 10kg grain at a pinch, with about 2.3Ltrs/kg. Works well for double-batch brews.
I started with a SS false-bottom, but found the non-smooth bottom let through too much grain.
I now use a SS braid loop, and it works brilliantly.
Cheers,
Hutch.

that is the exact thing im lookin for Timmsy,and it turns out il be in adelaide in two weeks. good work dude!

cheers,dan

that is the exact thing im lookin for Timmsy,and it turns out il be in adelaide in two weeks. good work dude!

cheers,dan
Danman,

If they have BCF in ACT (just looked - they don't but NSW do!) head there. You'll save 20 bucks.

36 L Keep Cool for $79.

That's what I'm using and am happy.

PB

that shop is awesome,they moved into cairns 6 mths before i moved to canberra. got so much stuff there. may check their website and find a shop near me.

cheers,dan

Danman....ask Col at Brew your own at home in Kambah if Dave (the guy who used to work there) is using the brand spanking Gatorade esky I sold him (that I borrowed from work). If not he may on-sell it?
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Ask Rowan (Trough Lolly) where he got his from

I will keep my eye out at work (AIS). Theres always loads of eskys lying around. Will give you a hoy if I find one.

Heres mine (that I borrowed from work) with a manifold that stagger made for me.

Esky4.jpg
Esky3.jpg
Esky2.jpg
Esky1.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back