SS mash tuns found on ebay - are they any good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im looking to upgrade from my shonky home made esky cooler mash tun.
Its a 19L, tall, round, beverage dispenser-type cooler that gives me awesome brewhouse efficiency but its just a but too small and starting to just get old and manky.
Ive been hunting far and wide for the beverage dispenser type eskies but cant find any that are bigger.
Ive started looking on ebay and found the orange hex-cooler ones with fitting and thermometers and will probably get one of those but i did a search recently and found these Stainless ones:

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/151590212632

Has anyone got any info on them?
Anyone used one?
Would anyone recommend one of these over the hex-cooler types?
Are they shit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Very soon you will want to recirculate!
Buy a cheap 40 litre pot, some insulation from Bunnings...a camping mat!
Drill hole for tap,suggest s/s ball valve, a cheap Kaixin pump,a 12" false bottom.
This will get you started without having to start again to upgrade...an inevitable process.

I bought one mate and it was rubbish. That's where it went too! Flimsy as hell. Don't bother trying to penetrate it with any holes. It is two thin walls of stainless sheet with foam in between. The seams on mine were open top and bottom and it didn't seal properly. They did however replace it with a new cooler style mash tun, which was great if you're after one of those. Also no reason you can't use this type of mash tun to recirculate. I do, through a HEX in my HLT.

Awesome, cheers man, thats exactly what i wanted to know!

I've tried dealing with that guy and he seems shaky.

Latest posts

Back