Wort Smells Like Creamed Corn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ads76

Reaction score
G'day All,
I have a wort at the moment that smeels liek a can of creamed corn. IS this a sign of contamination?
Should i dump the lo tand start again>
I hav enever experienced a problem liek this before. The concentrate was a Gold Rush polar beer, I was told that they stopped making it but found it in a brew shop. Got home got cracking and after pitching yeast noticed that the best before date was 21/10/05.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ads

I'd say it isn't good. Non-fresh canned kits are the main reason why most kit beers taste funny, and I could imagine an out of date kit (especially by 16 months) would be much worse.

Seeing as you've already pitched, just leave it go, give it a smell and taste when it's finished and chuck it if its nasty.

Do you have other yeast? You could pitch a lager yeast and keep it fermenting at 10 deg and the other yeast with go dormant. Just an idea?

Nah dont have anymore yeast. Very frustrating a si need to get supplies up and this is a huge set back. Not to worry ill just let it go and see what teh result is like.

Are you brewing in a temperture controlled fridge?

Batz

Unfortunately i dont have a temperature controlled fridge, but the temp has been between 20- 22 degrees c.

OK
That dismisses my idea then

Batz

I think i might contact the store i purchased the concentrate from and make him aware that he has stock that is past the best before date.

I contacted the store thast sold me the concentrate and they gave me another concentrate ( bloody legends they are). I decided to throw the wort as they smell was that bad i couldnt get into my shed. So now new wort is goign nicely and smells like it should.

Strange, not the type of smell I wount expect from a canned kit. That sweet cooked corn smell (DMS, SMM) is found more from the result of a short or covered boil, wild yeasts, high corn adjuncts or overnight cooling. Strange that you would find this in a can which you woould expect to be very clean. Could be the age but cant comment on more than that.

Good to see they gave you a new one.

I had a bad yeast starter that gave a vegemite meets corn smell... possibly a yeast by product?

Latest posts

Back