Wort As Primer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I reccently read a thread detailing wort used in priming for bottling beer. My question is how will this effect the flavour? My guess is that the beer would be much maltier, am i right? Also is it sae to say that if said wort had a gravity of 1050 that the sugar content is around 130g/l.

Cheers

Aaron

Spartan,

You could use wort as a primer, however its concentration in bottling may not be high enough to get adequate carbonation.

In regards to sugar content in wort...

(in Yeast Starter section)
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=20

1.040 is as simple as 100g DME in 1L of water.

So back calculating you should be able to work out pretty close SG compared to grams or sugar. However depending on the type of sugars in the wort, some/part/all may not be fermentable! (depending on sugar types).

If keen to try it, take notes so you can report back on it.

Others have also discussed bottling prior to completion of fermentation - however risk = bottle bombs.

Hope this helps.

For the price of dextrose, for the limited amount of bottling I do, IMHO, my first reaction is Why?? The risks far outweigh the advantages...

Spartan,

If keen to try it, take notes so you can report back on it.

Yeah Maybe i will take a litre out of the entire batch and add the unfermented wort to that see how it gos

thanks raven

Aaron

For the price of dextrose, for the limited amount of bottling I do, IMHO, my first reaction is Why?? The risks far outweigh the advantages...

I'm more concerned about the effects on flavour than actual carbonation. Would be interesting to see how it turns out

Aaron

well...

sugar adds fermentables but no body

wort adds fermentables and some body

but the effects would be MINIMAL!

A few thoughts.

I used to prime with dry malt extract. Could not tell any difference in flavor. Maybe a difference in the quality of the bubbles but that is of great debate.

Problem is you need to test the fermentabilty of the malt to know exactly how much to use. You will know this if you save wort for use in priming, as you will have the starting and ending gravity. Hope that was covered in the article you read as there may be a difference when using it at priming.

In my opinion unless you are trying to meet the German Purity laws or doing it just for fun it is not worth the bother.

Yeah Maybe i will take a litre out of the entire batch and add the unfermented wort to that see how it gos

yeah, thats a conventional method over here in Germany.

We call that "Speise" (unfermented wort held back for primary)

Advantage: it doesnt change the taste of the beer, because its the same material, also it doesnt change the alcohol content of the finished beer.
Disadvantage: the risk to catch an infection to the Speise, whilst storing it, is very high.

So, nevertheless the most of German homebrewers are using this method.

There is a rule of thumb: for Lager beers use about 5% and for Weizen use about 8% of Speise.

That means, in a 500ml bottle fill in around 25ml Speise. Cap it, store it, drink it.

Prost :beer:

yeah, thats a conventional method over here in Germany.

We call that "Speise" (unfermented wort held back for primary)

Advantage: it doesnt change the taste of the beer, because its the same material, also it doesnt change the alcohol content of the finished beer.
Disadvantage: the risk to catch an infection to the Speise, whilst storing it, is very high.

So, nevertheless the most of German homebrewers are using this method.

There is a rule of thumb: for Lager beers use about 5% and for Weizen use about 8% of Speise.

That means, in a 500ml bottle fill in around 25ml Speise. Cap it, store it, drink it.

Prost :beer:

I was under the impression that the "purity laws" were the reason Germans used speise?

cheers

Darren

I was under the impression that the "purity laws" were the reason Germens used speise?

cheers

Darren
hmmm...that might be right Darren, yeah I think so too.

But it works any way

Cheers :icon_cheers:

CO2 scrubs aroma, so adding some unfermented wort seems to add a little fresh hop aroma IMO. I just freeze some wort and add to kegs when kegging. No worries with them because of the release valve.

You could use wort as a primer, however its concentration in bottling may not be high enough to get adequate carbonation.
Then add more, it's beer!

Back