Wlp830

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloth

Reaction score
hey all,

just a quick question regarding the White labs 830 strain (german lager). Had a vial that had just passed the best before data but I made a starter to split up with it anyway.

When I opened it to pitch it, I gave it a sniff and it had a strange smell like smoked bacon. is this smell natural for this strain or indeed liquid larger yeasts in general. The actual yeast itself looked a little darker than I expected as well.

i havent dealt with liquid lager yeast before so all comments welcome. i put it down and 24hrs later no apparent activity (14 deg C). Is this ok?

Sloth.

Smoked bacon I'm not sure about. Could it perhaps be sulphur? Lager yeasts do emit strange odours so that's not too worrying. Did you taste the starter?

It's also not that worrying that it hasn't started in 24 hours. You might want to have a check of the gravity though to make sure it's not really going after all. If there's no activity be tomorrow, I'd be thinking about some more yeast though.

Sorry, I must not have been very clear. Im just growing whats in the white labs vial up a bit so that I can split that into 6 starter that I will step up before pitching into a batch.

its in a 5L glass carboy, so I dont have any way of checking the gravity.

I didnt taste the yeast as it was straight from the vial, but before i pitch i always hav a bit.

Sloth.

Back