Wlp565, Brett Or Other

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jye

Hop Junky
Reaction score
Back in March I brewed up a Saison which decided to stop at 1.020 <_< Not a big problem since I had planned to add the dregs of some Orval to it, 3 bottles in the end. Anyway, since about the end of April it has been sitting in a keg do SFA, until 4 wks ago when the ambient temp started to increase. Now it requires daily burping and its not showing signs of slowing up.

But what do you think has come back to life? Is it the 565, the Brett or other :blink: My guess/hope is its the Brett since I still think its to cool for 565 but this is my first time with brett and have no idea how it behaves.

Saison

Type: All Grain
Date: 29/03/2008
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.08 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment:
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.20 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 70.3 %
0.90 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 19.8 %
0.45 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 9.9 %

20.00 gm Magnum [13.10%] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU

0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm 5.2 (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 32.5 IBU Calories: 452 cal/l
Est Color: 16.5 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.37 L of water at 72.2 C 66.0 C 90 min

I'm guessing you will have a saison dominated by brett!
The saison yeast usually takes higher temps to finish off, but now that it has Brett. present i'm guessing with time the yeast will have fallen dormant while the brett will have kept on slowly chewing away, and now with some higher temps, the brett will dominate, chewing through the residual sugars.

I'd taste it asap and if its drinkeable, chill it and consume it.

My guess is that it's the brett. I'd give it a taste and take the gravity but I'd expect it to improve with a bit more time. I'd suggest leaving it for a bit and see how it changes in a month or two.

Unless of course it tastes so good you just have to drink it now. :D

Put some in a bottle and I'll happily take on the onerous task of taste testing it for you Jye :)

Ok I ended up pouring a sample ;) The dominant aromas/flavour are still from the saison yeast but some of the brett is coming through. There is still residual sweetness so the brett has some work to do and I dont mind if it takes over and dominates the saison yeast.

I was hoping to drink it towards the end of Nov but it may have to wait until early next year :(

Ok I ended up pouring a sample ;) The dominant aromas/flavour are still from the saison yeast but some of the brett is coming through. There is still residual sweetness so the brett has some work to do and I dont mind if it takes over and dominates the saison yeast.

I was hoping to drink it towards the end of Nov but it may have to wait until early next year :(

Got Heatbelt? holding it at high 20's should help it get there a bit quicker, if your in a hurry.

Q

Hmmm, slowly getting into the Brett beers.... Bring some along to BABBs next mate and I'll see if my palate holds up :D

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back