Will My Bottles Explode?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give them a check every couple of days for about a week. By then if you have bottle bombs on your hands you should start getting really big "phhsts" and a bit of foaming by then. Assuming you have a 23 litre batch, I'd expect an FG of 1015-1017, so your not really far off. I reckon you'll be right, may just have fairly overcarbed beers. What bottles are you using?

750ml long necks primed with 2 coopers carb drops

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant what brand, as in Coopers, CUB and the like. The Coopers ones are alot thicker and will resist more pressure, the CUB ones you really need to be carful with a ) bottling too early & b ) overpriming as they are quite thin walled.

Edit: Capital B and ) makes cool face

Edie edit: so does little b and )

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant what brand, as in Coopers, CUB and the like. The Coopers ones are alot thicker and will resist more pressure, the CUB ones you really need to be carful with a ) bottling too early & b ) overpriming as they are quite thin walled.

Edit: Capital B and ) makes cool face

Edie edit: so does little b and )

ah ok. mixture of coopers, tooheys new and CUB bottles. im actually foregoing having beer at redoak tonight to rush home and check the beer.

I have done 2 batches so far (bout to bottle my 3rd) First one the ants got into the drops, I found this out just after I cleaned and sanitised 30 bottles and it was 6pm so no getting more :rolleyes: so I put a table spoon of white sugar in each and this was perfect carbonation. The second batch I got some fresh carb drops and the beer was way to over carbonated.

So for this beer I am not sure if I will go back to the drops or use sugar or some other fermentable. What do other people use?? also I hear people adjust the amount they put in from brew to brew as some beer carbonates more. How do you work out how much to add to get the right carbonation levels?

im actually foregoing having beer at redoak tonight to rush home and check the beer.
Now, now. Let's not do anything hasty that we might regret later. You can always start another family.

ah ok. mixture of coopers, tooheys new and CUB bottles. im actually foregoing having beer at redoak tonight to rush home and check the beer.

Go have you beer mate, just check em' when you get home. Obviously check the thinner ones first.

Now, now. Let's not do anything hasty that we might regret later. You can always start another family.

:lol: What did you have for brekky today bum? **** your makin' me laugh today

Go have you beer mate, just check em' when you get home. Obviously check the thinner ones first.

hahaha ok appreciate the quick responses guys tbh i was quite worried for a sec. guess ill be sipping on the new Belgian whit beer they just launched. really appreciate it guys

I have done 2 batches so far (bout to bottle my 3rd) First one the ants got into the drops, I found this out just after I cleaned and sanitised 30 bottles and it was 6pm so no getting more :rolleyes: so I put a table spoon of white sugar in each and this was perfect carbonation. The second batch I got some fresh carb drops and the beer was way to over carbonated.

So for this beer I am not sure if I will go back to the drops or use sugar or some other fermentable. What do other people use?? also I hear people adjust the amount they put in from brew to brew as some beer carbonates more. How do you work out how much to add to get the right carbonation levels?

Personally I like to use sugar (if I bottle, which is rarely) with one of those measuring thing from th HB shop. I find (and alot of others do to) that the carb drops can be quite inconsistant in size

yeah I did read some where as well you can get sugar cubes might give them ago. every one of my bottles I used carb drops were over carbed, maybe I didnt leave it ferment out long enough as few weeks after I found out the dry enzyme you really need to be sure its fermented. Had 2 days same reading but still should left it lol you get to excited when its your first few times :p

so i checked it and the beer came gushing out. opened all of them and let them finish going crazy, then re-capped. with see again whether the pressure builds up. think i dodged a bullet there

Good stuff, well, not that they gushed, but that you got to it, preventing bombs. If you need to let more pressure out try and only just let the cap off the tinyiest bit, so there isn't a massive change in pressure all of a sudden, that should help with the gushing. Well it did for me the couple of times I had to do it.

It's been mentioned but that dry enzyme can take things right, right down.

Good that you degassed. One other thing you can do if you are worried (and worry is warranted - broken glass can be nuts) is wrap every bottle tightly in glad wrap. Alternatively you can wrap the box they are in tightly in glad. You will need many layers but it just means any breakage is contained. Individual is more difficult but just means you can chill individual bottles without unwrapping and re-wrapping all the time.

never would have thought of the glad rap ideas. ill see how they go and if they keep playing up then ill use that.

Latest posts

Back