Wig And Pen Velvet Cream Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
Was lucky enough to be at the Wig and Pen on saturday night sampling their fine beers, including one pulled through the hop filter Randal.jpg which was great but my favourite on the night was the

"[Velvet Cream Stout]

Deliciously creamy and roast dry stout with an intense lingering dark bitter/sweet chocolate finish

Served at 4 – 6oC, Nitrogenated
Key Flavours: Bitter dark chocolate, cream
Alcohol %: 5.4 – 5.7%"

Although I won't be able to recreate the nitro creaminess, anyone some insight into how this fine beer is made?
Would I make it an oatmeal stout to get some of that mouthfeel into it?
What yeast does the Wig and Pen use?

Richard Watkins is the W&P head brewer. He is very forthcoming with his recipes, so I suggest give him a buzz or drop an email. The W&P has a website, which might have the email address.

Otherwise, wait for a reply from a Canberra Brewer's Club member who has the recipe.

Edit: By the way, I agree - top beer.

I would also love to see a recipe for this. I've had a number of Wig and Pen beers and think the cream stout is overall their best one.

...Richard is judging at the Royal Perth Beer Show this week and as others have said and i know from plenty of personal experience he is very very generous with his advice and expertise...yup the Velvet is always suberb....and this years RIS is sensational...check out the pilsner at the moment it's on fire....

....see that hopinator/randall on the bar...??? that was built by the expert hand of Craig Webber aka Stagger, top bloke and multiple Australian Amateur Champion Brewer and Canberra Brewers President...y'all be in good hands at the Nationals this year folks....see ya there....

Scott
SCB

Was lucky enough to be at the Wig and Pen on saturday night sampling their fine beers, including one pulled through the hop filter View attachment 27967 which was great but my favourite on the night was the

"[Velvet Cream Stout]

Deliciously creamy and roast dry stout with an intense lingering dark bitter/sweet chocolate finish

Served at 4 6oC, Nitrogenated
Key Flavours: Bitter dark chocolate, cream
Alcohol %: 5.4 5.7%"

Although I won't be able to recreate the nitro creaminess, anyone some insight into how this fine beer is made?
Would I make it an oatmeal stout to get some of that mouthfeel into it?
What yeast does the Wig and Pen use?

My first intro to the W&P Stout was at the ANHC last October. Yes I like it as well. I reckon that softness you speak about and the one that I know may also be a result of the Nitrogen it is carbed with.

BYB

Top beer. I always have a Foreign extra stout on tap in hommage to this beer.
Us-05 yeast, and like Richard, mine finishes about 1.020, which sounds underattenuated, but if it's good enough for him....