Wig And Pen Up For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue Mountains would be nice for the tourist coin. Leura perhaps?

Though, speaking of locations i am always amazed that somwhere like Cockatoo Island in the harbour doesn't have something happening. So many large, industrial warehouses with cheap[ish] commonwealth sub'd rent. Funky cafe / food joint with BOP beers. Yum :)

I reckon I would stick a micro in the Imperial Hotel at Mt Victoria, and work on the 'old world charm' of the premises.

Cockatoo Island is a bugger to get to. I went there a while ago for an exhibit. I did have a couple of Bright Ales off tap while there, though it was a portable bar, not a regular fixture.

Slightly :icon_offtopic: Please bring a decent drinking venue to Southern Sydney (the Shire)we lack anything that serves a "decent"beer! :angry:

Slightly :icon_offtopic: Please bring a decent drinking venue to Southern Sydney (the Shire)we lack anything that serves a "decent"beer! :angry:

Not a better word said ...

I concur. The Shire is a beer wasteland.....

I reckon I would stick a micro in the Imperial Hotel at Mt Victoria, and work on the 'old world charm' of the premises.

Cockatoo Island is a bugger to get to. I went there a while ago for an exhibit. I did have a couple of Bright Ales off tap while there, though it was a portable bar, not a regular fixture.

I agree with the Imperial being the best place for the Wig and Pen. My local, except I do not
go there because of the crap beer served.

Regards

Graeme

So is it still open?
Any updates?

Was there the weekend before last and it was going great guns. Bar staff didn't know when it would close, but judging by the empty shops next door, I'd say it's not far off.

Was there the weekend before last and it was going great guns. Bar staff didn't know when it would close, but judging by the empty shops next door, I'd say it's not far off.
Fingers crossed I can get there when we go down soon.
Cheers

Any update on this from the locals?

I was hoping to swing by on a trip from Beechworth to Sydney and combine a visit to a mate with a visit here early Jan.

Not much news out there I can see other than that it is very likely happening but no updates on when, or if they have a new home...

The Wig is still up and running in its current location and will be for a long time yet.

Went there last night with a customer, must say a little dissappointed with the cash only policy.

Some nice beers but would have stayed till close if we could have put it all on the work credit card

Looks like the Wig has found a new home:

Wig & Pen to move to ANU's Llewellyn Hall

Google tells me a 7-minute walk from the current location. Details around when are still to be confirmed (probably some govt red tape etc) but it should be a good fit with the ANU crowd.

Richard Watkins has recently gone out on his own, to the BentSpoke Brewing Co in Braddon, and early signs are that both will co-exist nicely. BentSpoke sold out its first of six beers in one week!

Meanwhile, the Wig's new head brewer Tom Lillicrap is doing a good job filling some pretty big boots.

It's just around the corner, too easy. Not so good for city pub crawls but great for ANU students.

It would be nice if they've completed the move by the time ANHC rolls around in October. It would be a pity if I can't drop in for a pint at the Wig & Pen for old time's sake.

Yes, not sure how long it will take or when it will happen. Either way it's pretty close to ANHC, worst case is it's not open at either venue right at that time, but that seems unlikely.

I have heard they're planning to get a bunch of new kegs in so they can stockpile beer while moving the brewery over. Hopefully that means there will be minimum down time between venues.

Latest posts

Back