White Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkFaerytale

Fuggle Abuse
Reaction score
i came across this article while reading this review and thought it might make a good discussion topic, has anyone brewed anything similar? got recipies? whats your thoughts?

"This isnt some modern invention like black IPAs, but has its roots firmly in tradition. By looking at the original definitions of styles, Durham Brewery owner Steve Gibbs has gone back to the authentic meanings of words such as stout and realised it simply refers to the strength, not the colour."

"But what about IPAs isnt that a strong light ale? I hear you cry (Ive got good hearing). But if Steve had heard you too, hed explain that the modern take on IPAs, which are traditionally strong and hoppy, often dont have the body to match the increasing amounts of hops brewers are using.

The white stout, however, has a thicker body to match the stout-levels of hopping which are used. So while it is different to even a traditional IPA, Steve also sees it as helping to redress the bitter, unbalanced nature of some American-influenced brews."

"Its like an IPA, made in Belgium, by a sugar addict."

-Phill

Hah! i had half an idea of doing something like this a while back, more as a dig at black IPA. Plan was to include yeast haze like a WitBier to make it seem more white.

could assist in getting people to try the 'style'. Most common reaction to beer heathens when seeing stout is that its 'road tar' or digustingly bitter or 'only irish people drink that stuff'.

although in reading the review i can see that this isnt a reverse black IPA as the white stout has no dark grain charateristics, so its not just a stout minus colour. so actually its kind of completely diff to black IPA.

not sure about stout just meaning strength. will have to consult my books when i get home (whole section about stouts,porters etc in radical brewing). im sure there will be some arguing about history of stouts and what it shoudl or shoudlnt be. more interesting would be the arguments about bjcp style guidelines if indeed the description is wrong or whether they would have to add white stout as a style or whether they argued that its a specialty category beer. or wheather this is just an imperial pale.

sounds like an interesting beer none the less

Sounds interesting, & i'm always happy to try something a bit different. Either way, you could say it's a 'successful' beer due to the publicity it's gained by calling itself a stout.

Seems to almost fit into the BJCP definition of a high FG Imperial IPA, with 72 IBU & 7.2%. Or a slightly lower strength English Barleywine.

The RateBeer reviews are a bit ambivalent, & i suspect that this beer might not be anything particularly new, awesome, or different, but interesting nonetheless.

I suspect ANY beer as brewed 200 years ago is now vastly different to it's modern version with the same name...

After some time to think about this, I'm calling the term 'white stout' bogus.
The word 'stout' does mean 'strong', but the style descriptor 'Stout' has always meant a dark beer, ie, a stout Porter being a strong porter.

I imagine that our use of the word 'imperial' today with reference to Imperial IPA's/Stouts/anything really strong etc might be considered the same as the word 'stout' 200 years ago.
If someone in 200 years time digs up a reference to this & calls their beer an 'Imperial' beer, it's not really referring to a style, only a word meaning 'strong'.

That's my take on the matter, anyway! Always happy to be proven wrong though...

I thought at first it might be about someone mimicking roasted flavours in a light colored beer, like using cocoa nibs instead of roasted malts. But it's just another 7% IPA o_O?

Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

Best combination of roastyness in a light coloured beer I have tried was the maltilda bay crema beer that used coffee beans in it a while ago.

When crafty pint was running the "Peoples Pint" competition this was one of the types of things I was brainstorming, couldn't work out how to get the roasty flavors without the colour would love some suggestion for a recipe of a stouty tasting beer that looks like a wheat or a pale ale.

yes, a "stout man" by that definition, isn't dark.

Kinda like a wee heavy?

Either way, I've been dreaming up a malt bomb... Hot mashed marris otter, torrified wheat and unmalted barley. Maybe some carapils or light crystal. Williamette hops and on nitrogen.

Kinda like a wee heavy?
Hmmmm yeah does sound like that, or an English Barley Wine.

Like other have mentioned, stout refers to "stout porter", as strong richer version of the dark Porter beer that was famous in London way back when...
So in essence could this possible pass as a "stout bitter" or "stout pale ale", which is pretty much just a barley wine anyway?

which is pretty much just a barley wine anyway?
thats what i recon when i was rereading artricle and style guidelines.

marketing gimmick based in history. quite clever actually.

Scotland's BrewDog have made a Blonde Stout. It's a pale ale that uses coffee and cocoa nibs to give the flavour of a stout, and oatmeal to fill out the body. I think the idea rocks personally, but also love the fact it was meant to be an April fool's originally.

Deconstructed Imperial Stout

Wouldn't a "white stout" be just a light coloured "Strong Ale" ?

Duck

Wouldn't a "white stout" be just a light coloured "Strong Ale" ?

Duck

A dark coloured "Strong Ale" is not necessarily a stout so why shouls a
light coloured "Strong Ale" be a stout???

Regards

People make beer.

Categorising it makes it easier to describe, appreciate and judge (not just in a competition sense). It's a convenience only.

Those beers are not stuck in time and styles are just a way of categorising, not a set of rules we must either abide by or break in a revolutionary 'anti-style' manner.

If the beer tastes good then I don't give a tin sheizen what someone wants to call it* or how some mythical 18th century dock worker might have reacted.

Culture shifts - that's the great thing about it and one reason I love beer history so much. Understanding beer history and its diversity should make people less anal rather than more.

*Logical absurdities like black pale or wheatless weizen do annoy me but that's because I'm an anal hypocrite like everyone else.

People make beer.

Categorising it makes it easier to describe, appreciate and judge (not just in a competition sense). It's a convenience only.

Those beers are not stuck in time and styles are just a way of categorising, not a set of rules we must either abide by or break in a revolutionary 'anti-style' manner.

If the beer tastes good then I don't give a tin sheizen what someone wants to call it* or how some mythical 18th century dock worker might have reacted.

Culture shifts - that's the great thing about it and one reason I love beer history so much. Understanding beer history and its diversity should make people less anal rather than more.

*Logical absurdities like black pale or wheatless weizen do annoy me but that's because I'm an anal hypocrite like everyone else.
i want to hear those words come out of your mouth at temple tonight andrew lol temple's midnight IPA, temple draught...

Midnight's OK because you can drink it at 12.00 am in the dark and no-one will know. No logical absurdity.

Don't know about their draught as a bottled beer??

However temple are also forgiven anything due to their pulled pork sop, generosity and fantastic beers (no commercial affiliation blah blah)