White stout - Feast of Stevens clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contrarian

Reaction score
After thoroughly enjoying the Feast of Stevens over Christmas from HopDog I have decided to make an attempt at it myself. It really was one of the most remarkable beers I tried in 2016. So the challenge is to get roasty, toasty flavour and thick stout mouthfeel while keeping the colour pale. Having had a chat to the brewer I think I should be able to get a decent approximation.

Grain:
50% Gladfields ale
10% Gladfield manuka smoked malt
5% weyerman smoked malt
15% golden naked oats
15% wheat
5% carapils

Target OG 1.075
Target FG 1.018

Mash temp 68C for 90 minutes

Hops:
Will have to see what I have but am just thinking a neutral high AA bittering addition to around 60IBU

Yeast Danster nottingham.

Added to secondary:
300g of coffee beans
300g of cacao nibs

The main part I am still considering is how to add the cacao nibs and coffee beans and how much to add so I might do a bit more research here to try to get the proportions correct. Another approach would be to make a separate tinctures for the coffee beans and cacao nibs which could then be added to secondary progressively to get the taste and balance right.

If anyone has tried something like this or has any advice I am all ears.

Can't offer any advice sorry, but will follow with interest. Grabbed some of this from the brewery when we visited my wife's sister on the south coast between xmas and new year. Very interesting beer.

Latest posts

Back