White pepper in Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Gday guys

Recently did a partial Belgian wit...was amazing, still can't believe how good it was.

Am planning on putting another down next weekend, thought I'd add a bit of white pepper.

My options are ground white pepper, or organic white peppercorns.

I would think the peppercorns would add better flavour, but the ground pepper might work better being in powder form.

Just after a couple of opinions...any and all are much appreciated.

Cheers

Go easy on the spice. Too easy to overdo. I don't mind white pepper in the right dish but too much is a bit like a wet sheep.

No experience specifically with pepper in beer but with spices - always the freshest possible.

If you can find them, Pink Peppercorns are the most floral of the Pepper family. They are delicious!

I resonate Manticle's thoughts.

if you're using spices of any kind, use whole, freshly cracked under a heavy pot/frypan (no need to grind to a powder) or microplaned for large whole spices which are dominant e.g. nutmeg.

don't waste your time with pre ground stuff unless you can be sure it was only very recently ground. the only pre-ground spice id use would maybe be ginger as it still quite pungent.

Thanks guys.
Will get some peppercorns and go easy on them.
Didn't see any pink ones at the local healthfood store so will just go white.
Cheers

Ended up using 15g of organic white...was planning on 25, but smelt EXTREMELY potent so stopped at 15.

For what it's worth also used 15g of coriander seeds...mentioning only because again I was planning on using more, but it took about half an hour to grind that many with a s n p grinder, might look into a battery operated one, as when it's 35 odd degrees in your kitchen it makes for tedious work.

Smelt good though, would think this would work better than just crushing them

Haha, yeah as I was labouring away I was thinking a mortar and pestle would be a good idea.

Have read a bit about roasting spices, will do that next one

I made a wit today and just bashed the crap out of the coriander which was in a plastic bag with a big wooden mallet. It took about 10 secs. It smelt really good

Releases the flavour/essential oils.

Try it with some cumin or coriander seed.
Crush, heat pan, add spice and watch/toss/stir so no burning occurs but spices become fragrant or aromatic. Empty into a cool dish.
Like the difference between raw nuts and roasted nuts.

Every curry made from raw spice rather than powdered blend should use this process.

LOL......I now know what you mean. When I read your post I thought you said.....add dried toast to your spices, not dry toast the spices. I misread the words......of course changed the meaning in my head. Embarassing. Lets pretend I didn't do that.

Yeah, I always do that when I make a curry, smells and tastes wonderful.

Funny. See you. Anthony

You can add dried toast if you wish, especially if your beer is going to be highly buttered.
Myself, I prefer a touch of munich malt for that character.

Glomp said:
I made a wit today and just bashed the crap out of the coriander which was in a plastic bag with a big wooden mallet. It took about 10 secs. It smelt really good

Yeah that's what I did first time around...worked fine, but the difference in stone between crushing and grinding was massive

Bottled up the wit last night

Tasted pretty good...a touch dry, possibly could've used more coriander.

Would also go a touch easier on the white pepper too...maybe 10g rather than 15...the pepper is very late, but lingers way too long.

Anyhow with a bit of conditioning we'll see

Latest posts

Back