White Mould On Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have mine set at 6C and have had a problem. I certainly dont disconnect my lines and run water through after every session, that would be a pita.

Hi Ben I never had an issue with white mould until I up the temp on my fridgemate up to 4 or 5 degrees prior to that it was set at 1 degree. So I clean my kegs and the interior of my freezer with starsan and dropped my fridgemate back down to 1 degree. Just went out and checked and it still hasn't returned. I remember ready and article or hearing somewhere about a bacteria/mould that only lives at above 5 degrees, I 'd have a look at your temp setting and have a go at trying it at about 1 degree to see if it returns.

I know my fridge dosnt get this mould when its set colder, but i waana be able to taste my beer i hate having it that cold.

Cheers

Scotsman,
While I don't have kegs at home YET, I would think it unneccessary to flush the lines after every session.
You have a sealed system so nothing should be able to get in and spoil your beer.
In the UK with Real Ales I pulled through a pint or so before opening each night and the locals were happy!
Lines and pumps were cleaned once a week there also.
As you said the slight spillage you get each time you disconnect may be part of the problem.
As far as turning the fridge down to 1C, it may help but who wants to spend hours making a beer with flavour only to dull that flavour by drinking it so cold.
6C is a good compromise for both lagers and ales, just ales I would have it up to 8 or 9C

Cheers
Nige

Back