Whirlpool Immersion Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinthem26

Reaction score
Anybody know where i can purchase one of these to suit 20L BM?

insidecoil.jpg

Cheers

Sorry post came up twice, unsure how to delete.

Hi Clint
That system is great but IMO it overcomplicates the chilling process for the 20l BM.
You will need to incorporate a pump to achieve the whirlpool when you don't really need to.
With my system I chill with an immersion chiller and when the wort is down to the required temperature I remove the chiller and whirlpool with a big stainless spoon and let the wort settle before draining it into the fermenter.

If you want to persue that method I think you would have to have something made to suit the size of the BM or buy a standard immersion chiller and have the whirlpool return pipe made to suit. You would also have to buy a pump, ball valves, hoses etc.
Another down side is that it is just another item you have to clean at the end of the brew day.

If I was going to spend any more money on chilling I would be getting a system to chill the water with an ice bath to achieve lager temps with my standard immersion chiller.

This, of course is only my opinion and that chilling system is a great piece of equipment, it is only just not for me.

Give me a call when you are back in town and we will have a beer..

Cheers

there is always the genuine Stainless Steel BM accessory that you should be able to get from any of the LHBS that sell them... Craftbrewer, Mark's Home Brew, Grape & Grain..... otherwise check out other HBS for a "generic" copper one ....

edit nvm me: didn't notice the whirlpool return bit... listen to Dicko not me lol

ed2: I'm more a fan of plate chillers rather than immersions just imo fwiw

If you really wanted one you will have to construct it your self it isn't over complicated, but what you will be doing as dicko pointed out is complicating your brewing itinerary. My M.O is to keep things as simple as possible.

dicko said:
Hi Clint
That system is great but IMO it overcomplicates the chilling process for the 20l BM.
You will need to incorporate a pump to achieve the whirlpool when you don't really need to.
With my system I chill with an immersion chiller and when the wort is down to the required temperature I remove the chiller and whirlpool with a big stainless spoon and let the wort settle before draining it into the fermenter.

If you want to persue that method I think you would have to have something made to suit the size of the BM or buy a standard immersion chiller and have the whirlpool return pipe made to suit. You would also have to buy a pump, ball valves, hoses etc.
Another down side is that it is just another item you have to clean at the end of the brew day.

If I was going to spend any more money on chilling I would be getting a system to chill the water with an ice bath to achieve lager temps with my standard immersion chiller.

This, of course is only my opinion and that chilling system is a great piece of equipment, it is only just not for me.

Give me a call when you are back in town and we will have a beer..

Cheers

You don't use the your other chiller Dicko? Why is that, worried about it blocking?

Batz

Batz said:
You don't use the your other chiller Dicko? Why is that, worried about it blocking?

Batz
:lol: :lol:
I can't see that ever blocking Jeff... IMO they are still the best chiller around.
I was using it for a while but in all reality I hate cleaning the equipment after brewday and it was just another thing I had to worry about with sanitation etc.
I was going to go down the path of a hop back similar to your set up but I found with the BM that I could steep the hops really easy at 80 deg c with the immersion chiller and then continue chilling after 20 minutes or so.
I also found that with the immersion chiller I could chill in the BM and then put the lid on and let the trub and hops settle out for an hour before draining it to the fermenter. This is now my regular brewing regime and the wort is as clear as crystal into the fermenter.

I may, in time, sell the old faithful "Chillus Maximus" but at the moment it still holds a spot in my heart and as well as my brewing cupboard :p

Back