Whirlpool, Immersion Chiller And Hop Bags Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebo

Reaction score
So I finally got around to getting an immersion chiller, but I am a bit unclear on when I should be doing what at the end of the boil.

EG today I had some 0 minute addition hop pellets.. I put them in a hop bag (I dont have any kind of hop screen), turned off the heat and started the immersion chiller.
Pulled all the hop bags out after a little while (cant remember exactly how long) and attempted to get a bit of a whirlpool going.

Questions:
How long should 0 minute hops be left in for, assuming I am using hop bags? (I think these would interfere with the whirlpool which is why I pulled them out after a bit)
Do you start chilling immediately after the boil? How long do you wait to whirlpool?
Is it better to get the temp right down, remove the chiller then whirlpool? (I figured whirlpooling while it was warm would probably make the chiller more effective so did it that way)

your best to just put your hops in the pot without the bag they will hold the break material together better. Well unless there is say 1kg of hops in there then maybe just throw the flame out additions into the pot and remove the rest.

as for the others I used to chill then whirlpool but not sure the best method as I end up with 6lts of break as there is hot and cold break, but if I just put the brew into cubes I get about 2lts of break as its just hot break not hot and cold break I am leaving behind using a immersion chiller. I have been told cold break adds nutrients for the yeast in the fermenter. So I always wondered how you do it with a immersion chiller as a plate chiller you will have the cold break in the fermenter just like you would if you no chilled.

Everybody has their own way of adding "0" hop additions.
Not saying this is the answer but it works for a lot of us.

* End boil.
* Chill to 80 deg c.
* Add "0" hops & sit for 20 minutes.
* Continue chilling.

TP

what about say 10 min addition?? do you just add them at 10mins like normal?? heard this with no chill but didnt realise it was practice with chilling as well

what about say 10 min addition?? do you just add them at 10mins like normal?? heard this with no chill but didnt realise it was practice with chilling as well

As you said KG.
I have no idea about aroma additions in no chill even if I read the threads. :D
What came first? The chicken or the egg? :icon_cheers:

TP

Was thinking about skipping the bags but wasnt sure if hop matter in the fermenter would be a problem (not such a big deal with no chill as it usually settles out in the cube before I put it into the fermenter)
Guess I will just go bagless next time and see how it goes (one less thing to clean up is always good)

Didnt get much of a cone this time, think the IC stopped me getting as nice a whirlpool as normal.
Not sure if I should pull out the IC and whirlpool again once cool then leave to settle (I am always paranoid about stirring /having lid off / leaving cooled wort without any yeast for extended periods of time.. not sure if my paranoia is waranted or not)

your best method would be to put the spoon in when you put the IC in then do as tidal says then remove it and whirlpool as it will restrict the flow of the water and not make a good cone. What size is your pot?? I found 20lt pot got no cone 50lt keggle got little cone and going double and using a wide 70lt pot I get a great cone. But I find the hops hold it together a bit better so that would be a start.

You can whirlpool with the IC in to make sure you have no hot and cold spots in the wort but just keeping the wort moving will help

As you said KG.
I have no idea about aroma additions in no chill even if I read the threads. :D
What came first? The chicken or the egg? :icon_cheers:

heh, the thread or the thread search? :p

Latest posts

Back