Which hop is best for double IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
since when did an American style DIPA have to be balanced?
The best made DIPA's are well balanced beers. If you ever have a chance to try a fresh Pliny the Elder, you'll get a pretty good demonstration of how massive hop bitterness can be balanced by just the right amounts of aroma hops, malty-sweetness, and alcohol mouthfeel. I've had many, many shit DIPA's that were way out of balance and not enjoyable at all.
And yeah, everyone's palate is different. I personally have an aversion to high cohumulone beers. That being said, the original poster was asking for advice about which hops to use. If he had said straight off that he was aiming for an overly-bitter, off-balanced beer, I would have replied that yeah, all-Chinook will get that. If I'm assuming correctly, and the OP wants a well balanced drinkable beer, I stand by my comments.
I know that there is no one "right" way to make beer, and everyone has their personal preferences, but I think the goal should be to make something that tastes good. Throwing in a bunch of hops that you have in the freezer with little/no regard for what the final product might be isn't the way to make something tasty.

hirschb said:
The best made DIPA's are well balanced beers. If you ever have a chance to try a fresh Pliny the Elder, you'll get a pretty good demonstration of how massive hop bitterness can be balanced by just the right amounts of aroma hops, malty-sweetness, and alcohol mouthfeel. I've had many, many shit DIPA's that were way out of balance and not enjoyable at all.
And yeah, everyone's palate is different. I personally have an aversion to high cohumulone beers. That being said, the original poster was asking for advice about which hops to use. If he had said straight off that he was aiming for an overly-bitter, off-balanced beer, I would have replied that yeah, all-Chinook will get that. If I'm assuming correctly, and the OP wants a well balanced drinkable beer, I stand by my comments.
I know that there is no one "right" way to make beer, and everyone has their personal preferences, but I think the goal should be to make something that tastes good. Throwing in a bunch of hops that you have in the freezer with little/no regard for what the final product might be isn't the way to make something tasty.
Balanced for you is not necessarily balanced for others. You acknowledge that in one sentence and then contradict yourself in the next.

The Adelaide crew have a term for 'throwing in a bunch of hops that you have in the freezer', we call that 'Just ******* beer'. Stop overthinking it.

Fresh Pliny at RRB is amazing! Feral War Hog tastes very very similar.

Latest posts

Back