Which Fride/freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domfergo

Reaction score
Gday all

hope everything beer is going well for you!!!

i have a bit of a dilema. I am currently looking to setup a ferm fridge and have read so much different information i am getting a little confused as what to do. i am in the lucky position of having 3 different directions to go in.

Available to me is
1. A 520l fridge freezer(new)
2. approx 300l stand up solid freezer(prob about 15 year old but still goes hard)
3. forget which it is (150l or 200l) chest freezer(new)

i also have my kegerator setup which is a solid 450l fridge which can be used for CC. So my ferm fridge will be soley that.

the problems that i can fore see is if i was to go for the chest freeze i would prob have to modify it to get 2 brews in it at a time. what size is needed to fit 2 carboys on the bottom level of a chest freezer? there is also the problem of having to lift them out when time comes to keg.
I am not sure (and i hope someone can help) but is it possible to still have the freezer section of the combo still operating while the fridge section is being controlled by a thrid party thermostat? (i could also really use some extra freezer space for what good is it having all this beer with no ingridents for a bbq)
And the stand alone freeze is old, but i have read(if someone can confirm) that it is possible to use the element in these as a heater aswell. it also has the advantage(with some mods for shelves) to hold 3 carboys and not have to move them when time comes to drain.

i live in a very seasonal town, the summers are hot and the winters bloody cold. So both warming and cooling need to be considerd. is there a thermostat that you can run a heating device off it as well as running the fridge??

so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatley apprieated!!!

cheers

Mass

Back