Where To Buy A Laptop Hard Drive

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if Apple made everything, toasters, coffee machines, cars, I'd buy the lot. My life has been so much easier running Mac stuff. I don't want to tweak settings and customise stuff, I just want it to work, which it does.

Not a bad decision. Until you want to do something that Apple doesn't want you to do for no another reason than them wanting to gouge more money out of you. Non user replacable iPod batteries, carrier locked iPhones, locked out ring-tones, removing musing sharing from iTunes, and DRM come to mind.

But it is a tradeoff. Convenience versus freedom. At least with Apple you get one. Linux you get the other. That other mob, you get neither.

What was the topic again? ;)

if Apple made everything, toasters, coffee machines, cars, I'd buy the lot. My life has been so much easier running Mac stuff. I don't want to tweak settings and customise stuff, I just want it to work, which it does.

My mac has a toaster....but only seems to toast cds :p

I have to agree mac's just work. Some times a little frustrating due to the cost of software etc but I'd rather pay a little more to know it is going to work than have to spend hours trouble shooting.

The one thing that erk's me is that people always say "Mac's are too expensive" .....geeze last time I checked $2000 for the Imac was a damn good deal considering the strides it is ahead of the competition in the "PC" market.

Not a bad decision. Until you want to do something that Apple doesn't want you to do for no another reason than them wanting to gouge more money out of you. Non user replacable iPod batteries, carrier locked iPhones, locked out ring-tones, removing musing sharing from iTunes, and DRM come to mind.

But it is a tradeoff. Convenience versus freedom. At least with Apple you get one. Linux you get the other. That other mob, you get neither.

What was the topic again? ;)

I really must try Linux. Would it dual boot on a Macbook???

On a side note... we have macs since 1995 and the internet at home since the same time....and we have never had a virus, had to rebuild a hard-drive, basically no issues!!! Seems simple logic to me!!

Pok

exactly. my brother has to rebuild his P(iece of) C(rap) every 3 months because something has stuffed up, although all he does is bleeding-edge gaming.
My macbook was under $2000 and the second model up from the base model. I'm totally stoked with it. Couldn't be happier. Just waiting on the iPhone (quad band) to complete the picture :)

I reckon it would dualboot. If your Mac is PPC, there are PPC distros (Zizzle may be able to help there, I've never used Linux PPC). If Intel hardware, then no problems. I currently run Kubuntu* 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) 64bit on my 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo lappy.

*Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE desktop instead of Gnome.

I reckon it would dualboot. If your Mac is PPC, there are PPC distros (Zizzle may be able to help there, I've never used Linux PPC). If Intel hardware, then no problems. I currently run Kubuntu* 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) 64bit on my 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo lappy.

*Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE desktop instead of Gnome.

Yep. i've heard of plenty of people who dual boot linux on a mac. Should be plenty of help on the forums for whatever distro you choose.

Ubuntu 7.10. Fantastic. Even my 4 year old can use it.

Cheers
Dave

Well I'd say manage your expectations with Linux. Freedom costs. It can be harder to get what you want done sometimes under Linux.

The main problem is hardware and drivers. Some manufacturers refuse to release specs for some things (wireless netowrking chipsets), so the open source drivers are reverse engineered, and not always the greatest.

One of my mates is a Linux fan, but gave up on running it on his Mac Book Pro. The drivers for wireless would crap out pretty regularly. Especially after a suspend/resume. And battery life was lower under linux because the video drivers weren't throttling the GPU to save power.

I have an old iBook G3 that I run Ubuntu on. It's great, everything works and is rock-steady stable, except Adobe doesn't release a PPC Linux version of the flash player.

My SWMBO has a G4 iMac that is getting long in the tooth. Newer software is starting not to support it. I may have her switch to Ubuntu on it soon. She only really uses it for Firefox, Word processing, Skype and playing music, all things Linux can do well.

For me the software is more important than the hardware, and if I have hardware that sucks under Linux I will get rid of it and get something that works.

The other good thing about Linux is that you can get involved. If you have something peeves you, you can long a bug, or email the software's author. Track the resolution, or if so inclined fix it yourself.

I once found a bug in gnome that would only show itself after 6 months of continuous use (i.e. no reboot or log out). I fixed the problem and sent the fix in. But just goes to show how stable it can be on the right hardware.

As for the GNOME or KDE thing, they relate to how the desktop under Linux looks and feels. GNOME is similar to MacOSX: sensible defaults, do things one way only, Keep it simple. KDE is more similar to Windows: many options and knobs to twiddle. More than one way to do it.

I just dont like Mac's Operating system, I dont much like windoze either.
I am a KDE addict, which does link me back to the windows operating system in ways.
My Favorite distros are PclinuxOS (a must try for a newbie) and OpenSuse (Great for Servers at work)
I also run ESX at work, which is Vmwares Linux varient. IT allows many virtual machines (Linux,windows and crack OSX :p) on the one machine to save hardware and when using a SAN and V-Motion you can turn a computer off and another one takes over while you do maintinence...

Anyways back to buying a laptop hdd!!!

APPLE SUCKS!

Recieved drive today.

Used "Carbon Copy Clone" to "clone" original drive to an external drive, installed new drive and cloned back to the new drive...all works perfectly and just installed Mac OS Leopard (10.5).

I'm now a happy chappy :D

Pok

re: triple booting a macbook, it's more trouble than it's worth. the gpt partition table only allows 4 partitions, the efi bootloader takes one, osx another, and windows another. that leaves only one for linux so you cant have a proper swap partition. I also remember have a bit of trouble getting all three to start up successfully. I cant recall which one was the trouble maker (probably windows) but if one of them wasnt on the right partition it wouldnt load.

better off looking into vmware fusion or parallels. it's much more convienient being able to "pause" a virtual machine then just start it up again next time you need it right where you left off. as a bonus, you'll be able to load your bootcamp parition directly as a virtual machine without leaving osx. bootcamp is handy for games (though not so great on the gma950 in a macbook) but virtualization kicks ass over having to reboot

The main problem is hardware and drivers.

What's a driver? ;) Never had to install one, just plug in and turn on and it works :)

That's funny, I just had to hand hold OSX on SWMBOs machine through a driver install process for a popular HP printer scanner combo.

That's funny, I just had to hand hold OSX on SWMBOs machine through a driver install process for a popular HP printer scanner combo.

I must say that is rather rare...most things seem to plug and play...ofcourse there is always exceptions to the rule.

Pok

P.S. Loving this big hard drive...

I love my 3 macs I have here wouldn't be caught without them.

Franko

Maybe the Mac was trying to tell you something about the HP ;)

I have a 5550 deskjet and it's the biggest piece of sh!t ever!

Back