Where Is A Nice Place To Get A Beer In Katoomba?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokpikn

Reaction score
Im off to Katoomba for 3 days in September and was wondering if there is any good places that may have some good beers on tap. I have found a good bottle shop at Leura but would love some nice place to drink a few during the days. :chug:

Im off to Katoomba for 3 days in September and was wondering if there is any good places that may have some good beers on tap. I have found a good bottle shop at Leura but would love some nice place to drink a few during the days. :chug:

Take your woolies :eek:

Pubs are basically crap up here. I live in Mt Victoria about 17KM further west of Katoomba.
The Carrington is an old,very large touristy pub and the Gearin is an Art Deco pub from the 1930's , owned by the actor Jack Thompson. Not sure you will find any thing interesting to drink.

The Leura Wine Cellars haev a very intersting selection of wine, old and new, have a look downstairs.
Also have some English Ales and German, Czech and Belgian beers available , at a price.

Regards

Graeme

hey Gap , what's happened to the Family ? and I thought it was Singo that owned the Gerin and the old picture theater opposite the bus stop..

The Family used to serve up a very good pint of guinness and sitting by the huge open fire on a cold arvo lead too some very big sessions in my miss spent youth..

The hotel Alexandria at Leura also served Guinness back in the day , big open fire in the front bar , and some great old locals ....

But the mountains are full of the city dregs now and Katoomba more so ..

good luck ...

cheers

Edit ( as a lad of 5 or so my farther lived in the flat above the bottle shop in the mall at leura , there was a small hole in the wall on the way up the stairs and U could sit on the steps and see who was in the bottleo.. Haha)

hey Gap , what's happened to the Family ? and I thought it was Singo that owned the Gerin and the old picture theater opposite the bus stop..

The Family used to serve up a very good pint of guinness and sitting by the huge open fire on a cold arvo lead too some very big sessions in my miss spent youth..

The hotel Alexandria at Leura also served Guinness back in the day , big open fire in the front bar , and some great old locals ....

But the mountains are full of the city dregs now and Katoomba more so ..

good luck ...

cheers

Edit ( as a lad of 5 or so my farther lived in the flat above the bottle shop in the mall at leura , there was a small hole in the wall on the way up the stairs and U could sit on the steps and see who was in the bottleo.. Haha)

Hello,

No it is definately Jack Thompson and his son who own the Gearin.

The Family is under new management and has been done up .
The Alex looks good but I would say that a pint of Guinness would be the most exciting drink you will find , maybe a tap of James Squire somewhere.

Pity the hole in the Leura Cellars did not go through to the cellar . $$$$$ of old wine down there.

Just a bit warmer where you are now??

Regards

Graeme

Hi,

The Gearin used to have the Chocolate Porter from Paddy's Brewery on tap but I'm not sure that they still do. The Carrington has a couple of James Squire beers on tap and a small range of Australian craft beers in bottles (Mountain Goat Hightail and Pale among them).

As far as bottle shops go, Katoomba wines (42 Katoomba Street), has a small range of craft beers including the range from Mudgee Brewing Company.

David.

The Carrington has JS Golden Ale and Amber Ale on tap, with the rest of the range in bottles (including I.P.A. - my favourite JS beer). I think I remember seeing some Mountain Goat beers in bottles and probably some other nice drops.

There was a tiny, tiny bottle shop in one of the main streets that had a number of interesting beers. The guy behind the counter was very much into the beer, but told me that bock was a Belgian style (I'm 99% sure it's not, but didn't say anything). I was going to go back and get a few bottles, but got pissed on wine with dinner and forgot.

Read Aviary's post.

Thanks guys. It looks like a few places to stop in but wont get my hopes up. As the wifes work is paying for all the accommodation i will have a few dollars for bottles to drink. I will check out the Carrington and let you know.

Back