When Machinists Get Bored At Work...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Was getting a bit bored at work today with bugger all work on at the moment. So i started to scrounge and nabbed a couple of high tensile steel offcuts and got to work machining the rollers for my grain mill.

Pre-Knurled Rollers:
Photo0114-1.jpg

Rollers are 4340, Dia. 44.5mm x 68mm Long, driven roller has a shaft diameter of 12mm so i can attach my power drill to it. Bearings are 35 x 17 x 12.

Rollers after Knurling:
Photo0117-1.jpg

Will post more on the build later (when i make more stuff), at the moment rollers are going off to be nitrided at the company's expense. B)

Please excuse the shitty mobile phone pics.

They look excellent. 44.5mm dia is pretty solid, why did you go 68mm long rollers and not a bit longer? It's always cool when you make your own stuff; I love working on our setups.

QldKev

They look excellent. 44.5mm dia is pretty solid, why did you go 68mm long rollers and not a bit longer? It's always cool when you make your own stuff; I love working on our setups.

QldKev

Thanks mate, I would have made them longer if the material was available. They were just offcuts/stuff-ups from previous jobs. Plus it was a spur of the moment thing while the boss was out :eek:

I'm just in awe wallace. I can make most things with timber (even musical instruments) but I just look at that and think... wow. What a skill to have up your sleeve. It just looks like magic to me.

Nice work! I find using a cordless drill I have to block off the feed to my mill to about 35mm, otherwise the torque requirement is too much for the little drill. A proper motor / pulley setup would manage no worries! :beer:

Off cuts for the win! Keep us all updated on the build

QldKev

That ROCKS! Nice work mate!

Amazing what you can do with the right tools and some proper skills ;)

Cheers

Very nice set of rollers you have there :icon_cheers:

Now that you've posted your handywork on this forum you are probably going to get a few requests!

Sweet as wallace. I'm a machinest too and have snuck lots of things in when 'the boss was out' for my brewery and moto. did you make it out of 4140 or 4340? I thought it would be way hard enough without nitriding but if the company's paying, all good. You'r great grand kids will be milling grain :icon_cheers: . appreciate the pic's.

Very nice set of rollers you have there :icon_cheers:

Now that you've posted your handywork on this forum you are probably going to get a few requests!

Does anyone have a CAD drawing for a good grain mill?

R

Lovely work wallace! I've just bought a mini-lathe because I got so sick of trying to get fittings that don't exist I figured I'd just make them myself. Still learning how to use it but a grain mill is definitely on my list of future projects.

Can I ask if you can suggest where a non-machinist would try to scrounge for offcuts? I've had some limited success with scrap metal yards but it's hard to even find new stock in hobby size quantities. If you know anywhere northside I'd be eternally grateful.

Nice Wallace,whats nitriding ? Whats 4140 4340 ?

I had a go at making a mill used a bit of 50mm tube & a bit of solid axil both mild steel I then nicol plated it after knurling

Does'nt look as smart as your'es mate well done

IMG_1441_1_1.JPG

IMG_1581_2_1.JPG

Can I ask if you can suggest where a non-machinist would try to scrounge for offcuts? I've had some limited success with scrap metal yards but it's hard to even find new stock in hobby size quantities. If you know anywhere northside I'd be eternally grateful.

The first mill I made I machined the rollers out of damaged trailer axle I bought from a trailer shop for $10.

Lovely work wallace! I've just bought a mini-lathe because I got so sick of trying to get fittings that don't exist I figured I'd just make them myself. Still learning how to use it but a grain mill is definitely on my list of future projects.

Mate, you can go to your local steel merchant and buy some 50mm round stock. I bought standard steel that they had, got a mate to machine and knurl it and then had it tin plated to keep the rust away. It has done about 220 brews and looks the same as the day I built the mill.

Still nice work from those who have the talent to make their own rollers, mild steel or ss. Great work

Back