Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure the hoegaarden bottling yeast is different to the primary strain. It may even be a lager yeast and prefer lower temps but don't quote me.

However this old and not very up to date page suggests it is the primary strain: http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/#BrDeKluis so who knows.

I guess you'll find out if the resulting beer tastes anything like HG.

I've heard its not the primary strain as well. Whichever one it is, its usually not recommended to harvest wheat yeasts from slurry anyway as they quickly lose the ability to make those flavours you want in your wheat beer. Best to purchase a wheat yeast fresh from your HBS.

I've heard its not the primary strain as well. Whichever one it is, its usually not recommended to harvest wheat yeasts from slurry anyway as they quickly lose the ability to make those flavours you want in your wheat beer. Best to purchase a wheat yeast fresh from your HBS.

Sorry this may have hijacked the thread. That was why it was an experiment and I wasn't too sure about pitching it. Did a shite load of searching on the web with 50/50 results regarding primary or bottling strain. At the end of the day the starter tasted fantastic (similar to a white Hoe) so I decided to pitch it. Even if it is a "bottling" strain is sure as hell tastes fantastic. I'm having some mates over tonight to taste test although it won't be a side to side but who gives a flying ...... it taste great regardless.

Back