What's Your Favourite Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

American

• Amarillo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apollo

• Cascade

• Chinook

• Citra

• Cluster

• Columbus

• Mt Hood

• Simcoe

• Other

• Total voters

pimpsqueak

Barbeerian
Reaction score
I know I haven't even come close to listing all varieties and there are most likely more than a few glaringly obvious ones I have missed out. Please add them in your post.

The reason I created this is that people seem to have one or two old favourites they fall back on time and again, but as the seasons change and new varieties appear, some of them become really popular, some not so much.
Two that spring to mind are Amarillo and Galaxy.

So please enlighten me as to what your favourite hops are. Both aroma and bittering if you feel so inclined.

*DISCLAIMER* OK. Don't go lynching me if there is already a thread/poll like this. If there is one, I couldn't find it .

A hopdb would be pretty sweet. Stuffed if I'm volunteering to set it up though :rolleyes:

I'm pretty partial to Citra and Riwaka myself.

If you're reading this Ross, would you care to share a bit of insight with regards to your most often purchased hops?

Not seeing a lot of love for POR?

I've been using target and willamette together in a porter recipe and lovin it!

Centennial and cascade is a good combo too, makes a nice APA

Styrians... or EKG... or both.

I picked some EK Goldings today, didnt need them for a particular recipe, just like having them N.S. and Cascade in the freezer,

EKG and NS for aroma/taste are amazing for me. But the my favorite purely because it does both well is Galaxy easily for me!

Stella for AUS/NZ, all the way. Top hop for everything (bittering, flavour, aroma, dry or blended). I cannot go past it.

English: EKG, Challenger
Belgian: Styrian Goldings
German: Tettnanger
American: Amarillo, Centennial
Australia: Fresh PoR flowers

Country refers to style of brew rather than origin of hop. I know Styrian Goldings don't come from Belgium.

Back