What's Yer Favourite Saf?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just brewed a bitter using a sachet of Windsor mixed with a bit of Nottingham slurry. I liked the idea of the Windsor esters, but thought the extra attenuation, flocculation, and low-temp fermentation (as I don't force carbonate) of the Nott. might be a good thing. I've just tried it, and I like what I taste.

I'm not a huge fan of the SO-4. A bit rough, I've found.

I've used Saflager in combo with a liquid and it turned out great, but never on its own.

US-56 always works well for APA etc, but next time I'm going to try Nottingham for this style, as it's very clean, ferments dry, but has the added advantage that it sinks like a stone.

my favourite Saf so far is US-05/US-56 - it has worked pretty well in my 2 APAs to date. It seems to be rated pretty highly on this forum and I have no reason to use anything else for future beers of this style.

I've used S-04, S-23 and 34/70 a few times but none of these beers have been outstanding (these were mostly in some of my earlier kit beers). I used 34/70 in a few brews last year but they were infected :( (nothing to do with the yeast I guess). I have a few more sachets of 34/70 which I will use in a lager or 2 soon...

One of the beers I tasted in the Vic case swap (a porter) was fermented with S-04 and I thought it an outstanding beer so I know S-04 is capable of making very good beer too!

cheers,

Andrei

Dry yeast is my back up:
us-56 most ales
s-189 all lagers
k-97 wheats
but I prefer liquid yeast.

Back