What's Yer Favourite Saf?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
:unsure:

Warren -

safale.jpg

please attach a poll.....!?!?!
maybe breaking the poll up into 'winter' and 'summer' choices.....

Edit: are we talking favourite colour packaging or the actual yeast inside...... its two different ball games.!?!?!

I luvs the bright pink one... I've heard it's the new black. :D

Warren -

56 is my fave closely followed by 34/70
Me too :D Great stuff, if u have to use dry yeast!

I always have a red one & a pink one & a blue one in the fridge for backup if nothing else.

I've got a fridge full of SAF yeast and use them regularly. Can't say which is my favourite as I like them for different reasons.

US56 is great as a stand by yeast when you want to knock out an American styled ale.

S33 is my yeat of choice for a Mild

34/70 is great for a range of lagers.

S189 is in the fridge ready to be tried some time soon.

Looking forward to hearing reports on the wheat strain.

Most recently I've found that 34/70 seems to perform better when re-pitched. I had made 2 batches of lager and then repitched two other lagers and these were much cleaner and slightly drier. I then pitched a third lager and this also was much cleaner than the first pitched beers. TDA has noticed the same happen with his last efforst with 34/70.

I would be very happy if Fermentis were able to release an English ale strain with more character than S-04, something like Wyeast 1028 or even 1968. Then I would probably give up on liquid yeast.

Cheers
MAH

Why not give the dry windsor or nottingham a go?

one of the sponsors sells it and will post it to your door quite quickly

US-56 for ales & S-189 for lagers account for 95% of my SAF usage.
I use Windsor for pommie bitters & mix it with US-56 for IPA's where I want better attenuation.

cheers Ross

US-56 summer
and W34/70 winter

Only because the variance is soooooooo Little on dry yeasts

US-05 for being so forgiving of my temp control methods. I'd rather it wasn't pink though.

Cheers,
Greg

US 05 is my default house yeast these days,It just seems to suit my tastes when combined with a 65c mash temp in a PA.Clean with hops to the fore.

T58 is also worth a try for some spicy aromas and more european ale character.

ooh, 56 cos I've used it so much and it's saved me making many a starter.

S-189 cos I'm soooo impressed with the two beers I made with it.

I'm still a sucker for S-04 though, made a nice cider with it recently and it was a regular in my brewery while I was starting out.

I'd be happy never using S23 or W34/70 again.

edit: grandma

which colour is which yeast? I'm used to getting the 2x12g foil packs that Ross sells, losing out on the fancy colour stakes

W34/70 for lagers, K97 great for estery ales and T58 is a good choice for a bit of spice. The only one I have stopped using is S23 as there is a better choice for lagers.

Cheers, Andrew.

T-58 for the Ten-Percent Bastards. US-56 for the Little Creatures.

US56/SO5, as everyone as said, for anything hoppy.

T58 - belgians, spiced ales, fruit beers.

s189 - great lager yeast

S04, still a good ale but I'm more a Windsor man these days.

A good range all round these days really.

Since I've switched to liquids I've generally only got the dry's as backup, but it's pretty much US56 all the way if I decide to go dry.
What happened to the naming ? I thought it was being changed to US05, but I 'm still buying it with US56 printed on the pack...am I just buying really old yeast ? :unsure:

Back