What's This Flavor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to AHB and Im have just started to drink my first attempt at a partial mash.
I used john palmer's recipe for an English special bitter I had to use perle instead of northern brewer and substituting 1.5Kg LME pale for 2Kg of base malt.
I didn't get a very good boil because of my stove top (2000W electric).
I tried to keep hot side aeration to a minimum.
The beer has this unusual after taste , kind of woody/ earthy (kinda hard to explain)
it gets stronger the warmer the beer is, if I drink it at room temp (12 degrees) then the flavor is stronger that when it is cold (4 degrees), the flavor doesnt make the beer undrinkable.
I was wondering because it is an after taste it is the hops (east kent goldings/perle) or if it is hot side aeration B)

A partial I made with Fuggles had a very Earthy almost Muddy flavour that I attributed to the hops. I've used EKG and not noticed it, haven't tried Perle.

Matho

Perle used to have that same effect on my early Ag brewing palate, still don't like it much, good in the right style though.

Cheers,

Screwy

Real hops can spin you out a little at first,it does take a little getting uesd too.....then it too late ;)

Batz

Wait a second... you said you did a partial mash, but you substituted the 2kg of base grain for 1.5L of LME?

that would make it just an extract beer, as there is no actual mashing going on :p

anyways, having never used pearl, i cant comment on its flavour, but, from what ive heard from PoMo, a few people have been working on debunking the myth of HSA, and it seems that its not really an issue with homebrewers, as we (in general) treat out beers pretty well and give them a good yeast contact time. only really an issue for the big brewers who filter and then have to send their beer out to the public in bottles.

fuggles has been said to give a bit of an earthy profile, but ive never used it in large amounts, and never had any flavours i would describe as "earthy".

It was an AG recipe. I used 2kg of pale ale and 500g of caramalt 60 and 1.5kg of LME.
that's interesting what you said about HSA.

cheers

Hard to diagnose flavour in a forum, but there's a couple of guidelines that might help:

"woody,earthy" sounds like a hop flavour. If you're tasting this when it's really fresh - not long out of the fermenter - the hops flavours can be all over the place. You will know if it's hops if it settles down over time and starts to "integrate" well into the rest of the beer.

It also vaguely describes an astringency, which can be caused by a number of things other than oxidation; and it's alredy been mentioned that HSA is one of those brewing bogeyman stories (I've splashed hot wort around and tipped it through strainers and had no major problems from it, in the fresh beer at least).
More likely you would get astringency in a partial out of cooking your grains too hot, or squeezing the husks of something. Even then - despite the common dogma - it's pretty bloody hard to get any significant problems if you're paying attention.

All flavours will diminish as you cool the beer down; which is why Aussie mega-brew is usually served ice cold ;)

Your approach is good though, tasting, asking questions. Pass it to lots of people and get opinions. Good stuff.

Back