what's the longest you've kept a no chill brew before pitching

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gryphon Brewing said:
I think you need to compare these success's with the failures to bring this thread into perspective,
or you risk sending the wrong message to newer brewers. The quicker you pitch the better !
Nev
Absolutely agreed, I usually pitch the following day. I am not recommending hanging onto cubes for months and months, just that it can be done under the right circumstances (and mine were in brand new cubes FWIW).

The trick is to only have one cube, then you will generally have to pitch ASAP anyway or risk running out.

Longest is about 9 months.

Most sit for 1 - 2 months before pitching.

is there a preference for temperatures? aka, i leave my cube sitting in my regular fridge. does it really matter so long as it's not scorching hot?

fletcher said:
is there a preference for temperatures? aka, i leave my cube sitting in my regular fridge. does it really matter so long as it's not scorching hot?
keep them out of light, and it's probably best if it's a cool (stable) dark area.

Mine (I have 14) sit in my garage, on average the oldest (I do 3 per batch) one will be 6 months.

I've had 4 swollen cubes, over the last 6-8 months, none for the previous 3 years, so I've just replaced all my old cubes with new ones.

Bribie G said:
18 months exactly, so Barls beats me there. It's a RIS and I fermented it out recently, currently just stored in a lightly primed keg for maturation. It was my first RIS so hard to tell what it's going to be like, I'll let you know in July when I draw some bottles off for comps.
really thought you had me just let me go and check the age of the oldest one i have atm.

right the oldest i can see is august 2010. might pitch it soon. im sure someone still has one of the cubes from the wedding brewday.

Gryphon Brewing said:
I think you need to compare these success's with the failures to bring this thread into perspective,
or you risk sending the wrong message to newer brewers. The quicker you pitch the better !
Nev
I agree! Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating long storage of no-chill cubes. It's more of a "full time work and 3 kids, no time to scratch myself" sort of thing. Upon further sampling I actually don't think it's infected. The first sample was for an FG reading and even then it was only a slight unusual taste. I carbed some up in a PET bottle and chilled it and I actually think it's just a bit out of balance to the bitter side and I also remembered that my fridge wasn't plugged into my fridgemate for the first few days so it's thrown some esters and other yeast characteristics that I wouldn't normally get with this style.
Anyway, it has prompted some good responses here. Anyone else?

Or maybe I should ask, what's the shortest storage of a no-chill cube you've had that still had an infection. (minimum of overnight I guess otherwise it wouldn't really be no-chill)

Cheers!
Jono.

Latest posts

Back