Whats The Best Way To Raise Alc/cont In Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover101

Reaction score
hey guys i was just wondering about raising the alc in a brew :icon_drunk: . i've heard doubling fermentables,less water,more priming sugar(quite stupid), and different yeasts(not to sure if it would change alc). i was hoping that some one out in the aussie home brewer world with expeirence in this and could shed some light on the matter.

Hi aussiecraftbeerlover,

The alcohol in beer is in proportion to the amount of malt/sugars that you put in. Then it's a matter of balancing the flavour, usually by adding hops as extra malt would make your higher alcohol beer sweeter.

I would suggest that you have a look at a couple of K&K recipes that involve using 1.5 Kg of malt and follow the hopping procedures there.

An alternative would be to do a Toucan. There is a thread here called the "battle of the toucans".
Check that one out as well.

Cheers

The way I see it, raising alcohol levels purely for the sake of raising alcohol levels only results in crap tasting beer (as opposed to brewing to a high alc style recipes formulated to handle the alc).

Water is the only free beer ingredient. It's a very important ingredient in making beer taste nice. So why not add more of it rather than less of it - and drink more beer - tasty beer, rather than beer that tastes like liquid farts?

It's much easier to get :icon_drunk: quick when the beer tastes nice :) .

If you want a kit to have high alc, I'd suggest to add equal parts of dextrose and LDME till your heart's (liver's) content. I strongly suggest not going north of 7% though with kit beers. I've been there, it ain't pretty.

To keep the recipes proportions intact just lower your fill level.

If you think in ratios then your gravity increase is easy

e.g. 23 litres and OG = 1.042

17 litres and new OG = 1.056 (roughly)

3/4 fill level = 4/3 x OG

tdh

To keep the recipes proportions intact just lower your fill level.
If you think in ratios then your gravity increase is easy

Dont forget IBU needs to be proportional as well.

If you want really high octane stuff you might want to do a search on ice beer. Kinda like straining the liquid out of a Slush Puppie approach.

Most high alcohol beer I've tried tasted like horse urine (with a few exceptions). High alcohol is best suited to wine and spirits IMO.

If you want really high octane stuff you might want to do a search on ice beer. Kinda like straining the liquid out of a Slush Puppie approach.

Do it well, do it right is the best approach. I'd say you can do a high alc beer out of kits but it would have to be a barley wine style beer. 2 tins of goo, 1 kg of DME, some (a $hitload) of aroma hops and a long cold slow ferment. aged well... purrfect.

Here's a Belgian golden ale I did recently

1 X 1.7kg Can of good brew shop Pilsener
1 X 1kg can of liquid wheat malt extract
400g Honey
1kg sugar, made into Belgian candy sugar (or toffee)

15g Coriander seed
Zest (orange peel -not the white) from one orange
15g Saaz hops (4%)
A good yeast - I used whitelabs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast

Boil the candy sugar, honey, zest, coriander and hops in a saucepan for 15 mins then proceed as normal for a can brew

Let it age about twice as long as normal and enjoy

Most high alcohol beer I've tried tasted like horse urine (with a few exceptions). High alcohol is best suited to wine and spirits IMO.

You mean homebrewed or commercial?

I guess it depends what you mean by high but Schneider's aventinus weizen eisbock, westmalle trippel and rochefort 10 are all lovely, lovely beers. There are many others that sit between 6 and 10% that are delicious.

You mean homebrewed or commercial?

I guess it depends what you mean by high but Schneider's aventinus weizen eisbock, westmalle trippel and rochefort 10 are all lovely, lovely beers. There are many others that sit between 6 and 10% that are delicious.

I tried Duvel a couple of weeks ago - around 9% and very drinkable :icon_drool2: . Also, a few 80/- Scotish ales I've had have been very nice on a cold night - they're about 8% IIRC...

Latest posts

Back