Whats Best Insulation For A Keg Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I wanted to insulate a stainless keg and was thinking of a cylindrical plywood frame filled with something like

fibre glass insulation roof batt
polystyrene balls from a bean bag
Polyurethane space filler
old anorak
Sleeping foam roll
Mongolian Yak hair

Has anyone had any success with insulating one and made a neat job of it

I have seen the pics of Sqyre but that is not a SS keg

Pumpy :)

I wrap mine in some foam from a camping shop, loses less than a deg over an hour mash, if that info's of any use to you.

I have used a simple camping mat in the past which was the most effective compared to the other things I've tried but now I really don't bother anymore since I'm only mashing for 30-40 minutes.

Is that the blue foam from Clark Rubber

pumpy

I wanted to insulate a stainless keg and was thinking of a cylindrical plywood frame filled with something like

fibre glass insulation roof batt
polystyrene balls from a bean bag
Polyurethane space filler
old anorak
Sleeping foam roll
Mongolian Yak hair
Has anyone had any success with insulating one and made a neat job of it

I have seen the pics of Sqyre but that is not a SS keg

Pumpy :)

Gravel?

expanding foam. The air bubbles inside act as the best insulator.

Aeroflex sheet, available from any good trade rubbergoods store. It's closed cell, so it doesn't absorb moisture, Negligible thermal loss and it's black so it looks nice and tidy.
Made specifically for insulating things, comes in 6mm, 10mm and 13mm thicknesses. I use the 13mm.
The only down side is price, the 13mm is $60 odd for enough to insulate top, sides and bottom of a keg sized vessel.
But it works a treat.

Aeroflex sheet, available from any good trade rubbergoods store. It's closed cell, so it doesn't absorb moisture, Negligible thermal loss and it's black so it looks nice and tidy.
Made specifically for insulating things, comes in 6mm, 10mm and 13mm thicknesses. I use the 13mm.
The only down side is price, the 13mm is $60 odd for enough to insulate top, sides and bottom of a keg sized vessel.
But it works a treat.

Sounds neat Black is that one layer thick Domonsura?

Pumpy

I don't use a keg boiler - just a standard aluminium pot (75litre). I use a couple of layers of corrugated cardboard and then a 3mm closed cell foam camping mat. I use the former to keep the latter away from the pot when I'm boiling. It works quite well - paper is a very good insulator and cheap as...

Pumpy,
go with the hair of a Tibetan Yak

just had to do it.
Franko

yak1.jpg

Try this link Pumpy.

Expansion Jointing

Works great on my mashtun. Only costs around $10 per keg and doesn't lose a degree over the course of a 90 minute mash. :beerbang:

Warren -

G'day,

I use foam rubber that has dome off some furniture packing. While mine came off a new lounge suite, I'm sure that if you went down to a furniture supplier they'd be happy to give you a sheet or two.

Because I use a gas burner on my tun for tenp adjustments still, the bottom of the foam is shrouded by flashing aluminium - stops it burning :)

Regards,

AndyD

Here's a picture of what I used to insulate my brewing vessels: Silver Bubble Wrap

It's sold in hardware stores around here as a "hot water tank insulation kit". The nice thing about it is that water won't damage it since it's made of plastic.

Those 25KG Bags that you buy grain in works a treat. Go to your LHBS and they'll prob give you one.

Simple, effective, cheap, looks good: Use the foam, but the black construction stuff you buy from Bunnings in a roll about 120mm wide, cut strips and tape up with silver gaffer tape, then buy a cheap silver solar screen (for car windscreens) from Supacheap, wrap that around the foam and tape up with the silver tape. For a lid cut out a couple of circles of foam from a vege box or similar to plug the top opening and glue them together plus glue a straight piece across the top for a handle, glue layers of alfoil all over the outside.
Works a treat.

Jee thanks Guys ideas coming thick and fast Warren great link to your post ,great idea NewGuy silver bubble , Srewtop Black stuff with silver .

Thanks Franko I was only joking about the Yak hair

Thanks heaps I got plenty of leads now

Pumpy

Pumpy,

Where are you getting your Mongolian Yak hair from? My Mrs has been looking for that....

Crozdog

Latest posts

Back