Whats best, 2lt insulated growlers or mini kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claypot

Reaction score
Hey all,

After some feed back from those who use insulated growlers and those who use mini kegs. Especially those who use both.

If I go out I ether take a 6 pack for a quite night or 12+ stubbies for a gathering of sorts.

So I'm wanting to buy less beers for going out and take my own.
I've started taking 2lt PET's using a tube on the beer tap and using a carb cap. This has been working well so far.
I'm also on my second font mounted counter pressure bottle filler that works well when it's not seized up from lack of cleaning and use. - Which it is now again...

I also go to the beech a lot so keeping cold is a big plus.

I'm leaning towards getting 2 or 3 insulated growlers and dodging up a carb arrangement like buckerooni has done here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91298-growler-upgrade-adding-carb-cap-for-counterfillingextra-carbing/?p=1379920

Insulated growler.
+'s
rather than taking 5lts of one beer I could take 3 x 2lts of 3 different beers.
Good for the beech as will stay cold with out ice.
No need for co2. cheaper to run
$90 for 6 lt's (3 x kegking growlers)

-'s
Will have to fill and possibly give a blast of co2 prior to going out.
Will have to take lid off and pour beer.
Probably have to consume all 2 lt's at a time?
Doesn't look as cool as a mini keg!

Mini kegs.
If I go with a mini keg I'd get a 5lt.
+'s
Can sit in the keezer ready to go at a moments notice.
Looks cool!
Easy to pour a beer.
If I have 5 lt's left in a corny keg I can transfer to use the corny for next batch.
Looks cool.
Looks cool.

-'s
need reg and co2 to run. - I'd probably use a soda stream cylinder with flex hose and refill off my 6kg (I'm in the gas industry and have all rated fittings)
Bit more bulky
$150
Can only take one beer.
Need ice, and I'm not that organised.

Now in an ideal world I'd have both, they both have merits and will be a welcome asset to any home brewers quiver!
But as I'm just completing my 4 tap triclover font keezer this cheap beer hobby is getting out of control!!

I think in the long run I will get both or perhaps a 9.5 lt corny.

Cheers.

A few of your assumptions are off.

You can dispense from a growler under pressure with a picnic tap. The beer will last as long as in a keg.

You can pour from a minikeg like a growler, it's just not very elegant.

If your filling with home brew I would get mini kegs. They hold more and they are more flexible. Just stick them in an esky. You can even buy/build eskies with taps to stick minikegs in.

If you are buying commercial beer, get growlers. Most places will only sell in 1L or 2L pricing and from what I can tell, will only fill vessels up to 4L.

Cheers for the reply,
I've now got 2 of the keg king vac growlers, I am surprised how well they hold temp. I'm really happy with them.
They are a little bulky given the double wall, but given there's no need to worry about ice or having to find space ya mates over stocked fridge, the extra bulk is work it.
I take the lid off and put in the freezer and hour before, fill straight off the FC intertap with 12mm hose, an hour later still icy cold and carbed.
I like that I can take a couple of different beers with me as well.

I've got the drafto kit but not used it yet.
I'm going to fit a Schrader valve to the co2 side and work out a way to connect the beer tap side directly to my FC intertap and counter pressure fill by venting from Schrader valve.
Should work well as it will fill from the bottom. C02 from the reg will be via hose fitted with a Schrader valve connection.
Might seem like a lot of work for 2lts, but not having to get ice is my main driver.

Back