What Yeast To Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I am planning to do the Dry Stout, below, and was wondering what would be the best dry yeast to use?
I have some US-05 (the old US-56 I think?) and Windsor and Nottingham.

#59 Dry Stout
Dry Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 15/04/2010
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 32.05 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 77.07 %
500.00 gm Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.63 %
250.00 gm Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 4.82 %
220.00 gm Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 4.24 %
220.00 gm Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 4.24 %
30.00 gm Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.9 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

US-05 thats what i use.....just my opinion

Rook

Go the 05 or nottingham, either one will attenuate well and keep the FG low which maybe a problem with 13% specialty grains.

A suggestion is to up the RB to 10% which is more typical for a dry stout. Otherwise its looking pretty tasty :chug:

My one and only irish dry stout got an honourable mention at the Tanunda show so cant be too bad. As Jye said, 10% roast barley is almost mandatory for this style. I went the simple 70/20/10 - ale/flaked/roast grist with only a bittering addition. I did use 1084 but see no reason why you couldnt use nottingham or US56 for this. Brewed this in December and am enjoying the last few pints. If you are patient, it gets smoother with age.

The windsor won't get the FG far enough down for a dry stout

Seeing as it's a dry stout I'd be reckon you could go either way with the others - as they both are good attenuators and fairly neutral in flavour profile

The other option is to use windsor initially to get some esters and then finish off with either the nottingham or us-05

Cheers

I've got a dry stout just about to finish in the primary now. I went a little outside the square and fermented it (cold) with S-189.

Tasting "very" promising too. :)

Back on topic. Either will do between Nottingham and US-05 Steve. Nottingham seems to be a little drier though.

Warren -

The other option is to use windsor initially to get some esters and then finish off with either the nottingham or us-05

+1

I would pitch both at the same time, looking at the spec sheets, the Windsor looks like it will take off first, the Nottingham fires up a bit slower but will dry out the stout.

Should get some good esters as well as a nice dry beer.

Cheers,
PJO

Go the Nottingham....I've used Windsor before in a dry stout and really struggled to get it to %5.0 alc. I had to throw in a thames valley liquid just to get it going again.

Back