What Will it Taste Like?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_549

Reaction score
Hey all, First off i am severely not an expert with all this.

Got chatting to a bloke from Brewcraft in Adelaide and came out with a Mexican lager, The 'light flavoured' sugar ya chuck in at the start, and saaz.

Apparently Mexican Lager makes a pure blonde type beer and i like citrus beers (im straight) so i got the saaz.

Brewed in the single coopers brew fermenter and put into 375 ml bottles. added the correct amount of sugar with a little measurer thing so yep.

They are ready in 4 days and i have gently shaken them a couple times (the old man told me too- hes an old brewer) to get the sugar into it. However they still seem to have a fair bit of sugar sitting at bottom.

Any tips/ things i should do/ look out for? all appreciated-

Richo.

Hey all, First off i am severely not an expert with all this.

Got chatting to a bloke from Brewcraft in Adelaide and came out with a Mexican lager, The 'light flavoured' sugar ya chuck in at the start, and saaz.

Apparently Mexican Lager makes a pure blonde type beer and i like citrus beers (im straight) so i got the saaz.

Brewed in the single coopers brew fermenter and put into 375 ml bottles. added the correct amount of sugar with a little measurer thing so yep.

They are ready in 4 days and i have gently shaken them a couple times (the old man told me too- hes an old brewer) to get the sugar into it. However they still seem to have a fair bit of sugar sitting at bottom.

Any tips/ things i should do/ look out for? all appreciated-

Richo.

4 days ?? after bottling. I'd put them away somewhere warm (18C - 22C) and dark for 4 weeks then open one. If sugar in the bottle, the yeast hasn't had time to convert the sugar into alcohol and release the by product carbon dioxide - that which carbonates the beer. Patience grasshopper.

4 days ?? after bottling. I'd put them away somewhere warm (18C - 22C) and dark for 4 weeks then open one. If sugar in the bottle, the yeast hasn't had time to convert the sugar into alcohol and release the by product carbon dioxide - that which carbonates the beer. Patience grasshopper.

Thanks, i think i posted in wrong area, you guys all grainy and stuff- me just heat and serve. :p
The kits always say in fermenter for approx. one week- in bottle for fortnight.

You sure its not yeast you're seeing in the bottom of the bottles?

dont mess with them. just leave them alone for a few weeks then open and drink. dont shake them or anything. all that will do is make your beer cloudy.

if youre old man is an "old homebrewer" and is giving you advise like this, then i wouldnt listen to anything else he says.

does he also reccomend that you put your fermenter near your hot water cylinder to keep it nice and warm around 28C, and that a tin of goo and white sugar is all you need, and that all you need to do is rinse everything so you cant see any gunk before you use it (ie. not sanitise or anything)?

Thanks, i think i posted in wrong area, you guys all grainy and stuff- me just heat and serve. :p

A lot of us do... but we all started where you are now - with a can of goo and a worried expression.

Cheers
Dave

You sure its not yeast you're seeing in the bottom of the bottles?

dont mess with them. just leave them alone for a few weeks then open and drink. dont shake them or anything. all that will do is make your beer cloudy.

Agree. It will be yeast settling in the bottom of the bottles which means they are carbing up.

And don't shake em up. I know its hard to be patient when you're first starting out but just leave them alone.

Find something else to do for 2 weeks (maybe put down another brew?) and then go back to them and put a couple in the fridge.

Scott

Generally speaking.
Bottled beer takes 2 weeks to carbonate in room temperature.
It takes 6-8 weeks before it is drinkable IMHO.

If possible store you carbonated bottles at cellar temperature @11-14 degrees celcius for 6 weeks.
This is where the yeast cleans up the flavour profile. The beer is maturing.
Then refrigerate a couple of week. This will allow the yeast to cake to bottom of bottles for easy pouring.

Thanks all,
I did consider it could just be the yeast and solids in brew rather then sugar, but there is little difference from first bottle to last. I have a feeling they will be rubbish.. One me uncle did with saaz a couple weeks ago was rubbish. Any ideas for using citrus?

Omega, chillax man.. positive energy in.. negative out.

try glacier next time instead of saaz, it can have a lemony flavour

goldings give more of a spicey, floral aroma when used late.
if you want real citrus try cascade, amarillo, simcoe, USA hops.
glacier is pretty mild and has great aroma when steeped/used late in the boil

there are hops in corona?

highly doubt it. thought it was all just tetra.

Thanks all,
I did consider it could just be the yeast and solids in brew rather then sugar, but there is little difference from first bottle to last. I have a feeling they will be rubbish.. One me uncle did with saaz a couple weeks ago was rubbish. Any ideas for using citrus?

Omega, chillax man.. positive energy in.. negative out.

once you start brewing beers with actual flavour (i.e. the exact opposite of coronas) you will find that you no longer have a yearning for a citrus flavoured beer. half the reason that people put the lime/lemon into a corona so it tastes like more than soda water :p

Lobby

Nuh, i love the weak tasting beer. I dont want my beer to taste like a punch in the nose.

Anyone have a simple honey beer recipe i could do? Use dumb words for me please, i have access to homebrew in adeliade so if all was available from there (except honey of course) that'd be easy.

Nuh, i love the weak tasting beer. I dont want my beer to taste like a punch in the nose.

hehe, give it time and you will!
Hops are more addictive than heroin.

Good luck to ya, greg. Hope it turns out good.

there are hops in corona?

highly doubt it. thought it was all just tetra.

As far as I know there are no hops in Corona. They have done a heap of research on minimising light effects on their beer (being in clear bottles), and only use a very refined product.
Whether they succeed or not is still debatable. I personally don't like Corona and would like to punch people who serve it to me with lemon in the middle of the face... :)

Also, I don't get citrus off Glacier hops. In my setup when last I used them in a Golden Ale, they were not unlike a cross between German noble hops and Goldings.

MFS.

Latest posts

Back