What To Do With Toohey's Dark Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st3v3

Reaction score
As per the thread title...

picked up a couple of cans of Tooheys Dark Ale pretty close to the Best Before date for $1.50 each at the local Coles. At that price I figured worst case scenario they'd be a couple of reasonably priced door-stops.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth grabbing some yeast from elsewhere and trying to make something from these? Or should I go with the doorstop idea?

Cheers
st3v3

Cheers - I'm not sure if the yeast will still be viable given how old it is, but will give that a go with one of the cans.

Buy a Coopers Stout kit and do a toucan with one of the Dark Ales. Age it up and you'll be enjoying it big time come winter. If you batch prime do it lightly - 100~120g of sugar should do it. Otherwise just don't give the bottles their full measure of sugar. About 2/3 to 3/4 of a measure should do it.

Might sound like winter is too far off, especially in this heat, but $12 for a batch of half-decent stout? Can't ignore that. Maybe throw some Goldings or Fuggles dry into the fermentor after the first few days.

Cheers - boingk

PS: Use a 'blow off tube', or a big fermentor. Coopers Stout kits are renownd for being messy fermentors. Also, use the Coopers yeast and ditch the Tooheys. Either that, or use Safale S-04.

steps are easy...
open tin
submerge genetalia in said tin
photograph said act.
submit to fetish sites..
B)

and, if you are particularly sick minded, ferment and drink afterwards. Mind you, it won't taste much different to a thoughtful, sanitary, controlled, fermentation. So you might as well have some fun to start with......

If you have a webcam and a valid credit card, I'm happy to supply the recipe for XXXX gold.....

Latest posts

Back